Planning a Project Q-&-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
Ok, Guru’s:

My name is William, I owned a 1982 regal 3.8 in the mid-to-late 90’s.

I am now older and much wiser car guy. I now want an 81-87 Buick Regal again. My intentions are not to leave it stock. Because of this I am looking to make a clone. I do not wish to purchase a vehicle that is “valuable”.

Plans include:

- Grand National Clone
- Fuel Injected motor – 3800 / or V8
- Floor Shift
- Modern suspension

A couple questions:

1) I assume that Grand National parts (hood, spoiler, chin, bumper fillers) are available in aftermarket? Where/who?
2) How hard is it to get interior parts for GN’s?
3) What should I look for which would make me not want to purchase a vehicle being looked at?
4) For now the engine that comes with the g-body will stay until I complete the exterior modifications, what is the best engine to look for?
5) Are bumper fillers available? Who?

I am sure that I will add to my questions after your reply

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Patience... Gotta wait more than a couple hours for people to reply...

Yes, the spoilers and other GN stuff is all available aftermarket.
There are several vendors out there, just start surfing around. GBodyParts.com and Kirban Performance come to mind.
As far as interior stuff, the only thing GN specific would be the seat covers, which are also available.
Bumper fillers are available in several forms (plastic/fiberglass) for several places as well.
Unfortunately, the level of quality can vary, and you get what you pay for.

As for the 'best' motor, that's a matter of what's in the car when you get it, and what your personal preference is.
What are your plans for the car? Street? Track? You could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers...

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
The haste, was that there where a ton of views and no replys.

Thank you for your informaiton.

I am really looking to keep this a long time. My plans are just to have a "quicker" mpg ok vehicle.

My thoughts being that I am a grand prix nut. I was thinking about taken a 97-03 Grand Prix 3800 s/c motor with a camaro manual trans. I am looking for what engine whould be the most looked for or wanted.

William

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Get a 3800 out of an F-body.
The FWD versions have a different bellhousing pattern if I recall correctly.

The best way to do it would be to buy a wreck and pull the drivetrain and wiring.
Part out and sell off the rest to make some of your money back.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
also the FWD 3800 block does not have the bosses to install the engine mounts G bodies use

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Good call Steve, I forgot about that.

Another thing to think about if you want to run a supercharger is firewall clearance, since the air intake would face the rear.

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
I knew about the 3800 from a f body. i will use that block with gtp upper and internals

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
Blake442 said:
Good call Steve, I forgot about that.

Another thing to think about if you want to run a supercharger is firewall clearance, since the air intake would face the rear.

I got that fiquired out. A U-Bend and maching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor