Plasti-Dipping Trim Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
Has anyone Plasti-Dipped their stainless trim pieces? I.E. windshield trim, door trim ect. I was thinking about doing mine black because the car will be black when painted. Any experiences with this?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
my son did it on his BMW and it worked great, I don't know how though cause he just cleaned the trim and sprayed the plasti dip on. Any over spray he just peeled that off. The plasti dip on the trim stayed on but if you want to remove it you peel it off.

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm on the fence with it because of durability.... I am wondering if its easier just to have them powdercoated black instead?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I painted the window trim on a project Regal with satin black from a spray can, it lasted at least 8 years, its staring to show some cracks and fade, but, its in the elements full time.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
My wheels have been plasti dipped for 3 years now. They have started to fade and I need to do some touch ups, but so far it has been more durable than other Duplicolor wheel paints I've tried. The newer plasti dip has a "fade blocker" now, that may solve this issue. But until I repaint them, every other wash I use "back to black" trim restorer or a similar product to bring them back to life.
image-3.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since I am committed to the blacked out trim on my cars I prep them by scuffing them up and priming them and even though SEM trim paint works good I like Duplicolor semi gloss black ceramic engine enamel because it holds up very well and I fell it is a little blacker than the SEM.
I also just did my Regal dash bezel with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My wheels have been plasti dipped for 3 years now. They have started to fade and I need to do some touch ups, but so far it has been more durable than other Duplicolor wheel paints I've tried. The newer plasti dip has a "fade blocker" now, that may solve this issue. But until I repaint them, every other wash I use "back to black" trim restorer or a similar product to bring them back to life. View attachment 58799
Great looking car! I don't think I've seen it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor