Plastic coupler for power seat motor

D

djpringles12

n00b
Sep 17, 2019
Does anyone have any good tips on how to replace the plastic coupler that goes to the drivers side power seat? Im pretty sure i will have to take the seat off of the tracks. Just wanted to see if anyone had an easier way to do this. I have a 1986 cutlass brougham

ssn696

ssn696

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
Got a picture? I once repaired Trans Am headlight flip mechanisms with slices of a hot glue stick. There were three round chunks of plastic that had hardened and shattered in the heat under a black hood. Way different than your application, but maybe someone can offer a brainstorm.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.

D

djpringles12

n00b
Sep 17, 2019
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?

MrSony

MrSony

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.

Wageslave

Wageslave

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2017
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?
You should be able to replace it with the seat in place, the motor has 3 7mm bolts holding it to the bracket, you can then pull it back from the bracket and replace the coupler.

Reactions: fleming442
ssn696

ssn696

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
There are four 13mm bolts, one at each corner of the seat. The seat frame has matching tapped holes.

Anubis

Anubis

Royal Smart Person
Mar 30, 2012
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.
The motor housing is made of steel as is the mount however GM decided to use a grade of Nylon for the transmission case that has poor UV stability. Some will last a long time while others crack.

Anubis

Anubis

Royal Smart Person
Mar 30, 2012
I would remove the seat to replace the coupler. First disconnect the electrical plug, then remove the seat track covers and 10mm seat bolts from each corner. Move the seat back forward and lift the whole unit out of the car.

Reactions: g9s8r
O

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
where did you get the replacement couplers? the only one i could find was 60 bucks for one. mine is a 1980 olds cutlass Calais and the parts are har5d to find in the junkyard.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor