Plastic coupler for power seat motor

D

djpringles12

n00b
Sep 17, 2019
Does anyone have any good tips on how to replace the plastic coupler that goes to the drivers side power seat? Im pretty sure i will have to take the seat off of the tracks. Just wanted to see if anyone had an easier way to do this. I have a 1986 cutlass brougham

ssn696

ssn696

Older Than My 1980 Malibus
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
Got a picture? I once repaired Trans Am headlight flip mechanisms with slices of a hot glue stick. There were three round chunks of plastic that had hardened and shattered in the heat under a black hood. Way different than your application, but maybe someone can offer a brainstorm.

Wageslave

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.

D

djpringles12

n00b
Sep 17, 2019
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?

MrSony

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.

Wageslave

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?
You should be able to replace it with the seat in place, the motor has 3 7mm bolts holding it to the bracket, you can then pull it back from the bracket and replace the coupler.

Reactions: fleming442
ssn696

ssn696

Older Than My 1980 Malibus
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
There are four 13mm bolts, one at each corner of the seat. The seat frame has matching tapped holes.

Anubis

Anubis

Royal Smart Person
Mar 30, 2012
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.
The motor housing is made of steel as is the mount however GM decided to use a grade of Nylon for the transmission case that has poor UV stability. Some will last a long time while others crack.

Anubis

Anubis

Royal Smart Person
Mar 30, 2012
I would remove the seat to replace the coupler. First disconnect the electrical plug, then remove the seat track covers and 10mm seat bolts from each corner. Move the seat back forward and lift the whole unit out of the car.

Reactions: g9s8r
O

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
where did you get the replacement couplers? the only one i could find was 60 bucks for one. mine is a 1980 olds cutlass Calais and the parts are har5d to find in the junkyard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Acrylic/plastic LS Non-G Projects 6
Jmac I'm trying to find these plastic rear glass molding stops there is ( 3 ) of them Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 7
Stupidquestionspro HELP Exploded plastic power seat Interior 0
P Power Tail Gate - Weak? Wagons! 9
CopperNick MONTE CARLO Power Steering Box Q. Wheels / Tires / Brakes 11
S Power steering General Discussion 1
Happy camper manual to power winows ? Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 4
MrSony Engine Dyno vs Chassis Dyno Power Gains Differences? General Discussion 5
rona FOR SALE NOS Power Antenna G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
GPspeed Power steering pump hitting power steering gearbox Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 13
J EL CAMINO Eletric power steering?????? Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero 1
R HELP 07 silverado fuel pump power issues Non-G Projects 16
RideOrDieRegal84 Power window failure Electrical / Ignition / Starting 12
dft Confused on Power steering pump G-Body LS Swap 4
565bbchevy 71' Cutlass power sunroof option? General Discussion 4
Bonnewagon Electric power steering General Discussion 6
carnutjw Power steering cooler Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 12
J Power window switch wiring Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
8 Cimmaron passenger power seat trim G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
7 Cutlass 60/40 power seat tracks G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 2
8 Power Mirror Upgrade How-To's / Knowledge Base 29
SSpev Power Window motor Electrical / Ignition / Starting 3
Mr.1980 Emergency Brake Cutting Power Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
M So recent 1984 Cutlass H/O and the power door locks lock but, don't unlock. General Discussion 5
69hurstolds CUTLASS Power Window wiring diagram adding relays to speed up the window motors How-To's / Knowledge Base 33
QuintLee92 Power windows Electrical / Ignition / Starting 31
Z CUTLASS Power steering pump in the way General Discussion 26
GN-Finland Monte Carlo special high power models Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 37
J power antenna???? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
Chuck Cole Crappy old Bench Seat to Power Buckets Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero 4
Anubis POWER NATION - Regal project General Discussion 28
carnutjw 2020 Hot Rod Power Tour Events 24
yaahoos Drivers side power window n/w Interior 3
565bbchevy Jumping power window switch Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
T Power antenna bracket Restoration 9
T from power to manual stering conversion Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 34
J 83 cutlass supreme 307 y code- power steering bracket Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 6
565bbchevy Aftermarket Power Moonroof General Discussion 1
S Power Steering help New Users 0
pontiacgp Power Window Switch General Discussion 14
C no power door locks? Interior 24
DoubleV Power seat motor Interior 6
B Can I use an antenna windshield to replace a broken power antenna? Interior 24
Y No Power To Starter Wire Electrical / Ignition / Starting 28
abbey castro MONTE CARLO Power Source in the Engine Compartment G-Body Build Threads 6
D New member / question on power seat New Users 0
D Power brake booster swap Wheels / Tires / Brakes 22
mclellan83 Pittsburgh Pizza Power Tour Events 32
CaliWagon83 REGAL Power Window Regulators - Same or different between coupe and wagons/sedans? Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 3
David.C Power Steering Gear Box Adapter fittings Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 9