Plastic coupler for power seat motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpringles12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2019
Does anyone have any good tips on how to replace the plastic coupler that goes to the drivers side power seat? Im pretty sure i will have to take the seat off of the tracks. Just wanted to see if anyone had an easier way to do this. I have a 1986 cutlass brougham

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Got a picture? I once repaired Trans Am headlight flip mechanisms with slices of a hot glue stick. There were three round chunks of plastic that had hardened and shattered in the heat under a black hood. Way different than your application, but maybe someone can offer a brainstorm.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.

Reactions: 1 users

djpringles12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2019
I used a piece of 3/8ths (I think) rubber fuel line to replace the coupler on my wife's Oldsmobile 98. Just put a spring clamp on the motor side and let friction hold it on the gearbox side. This way if something gets in a bind, it will slip and not shatter the gearbox. On her seat, it was on the forward-most part of the gearbox, pretty easily accessible with the seat in place.
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I already have the replacement part for the coupler. Just wondering if there are any tips on if i should remove the seat to replace it? If i take the seat off of the tracks are there any tips on how many bolts or what size wrench?
You should be able to replace it with the seat in place, the motor has 3 7mm bolts holding it to the bracket, you can then pull it back from the bracket and replace the coupler.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There are four 13mm bolts, one at each corner of the seat. The seat frame has matching tapped holes.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
almost every thing i've seen of someone trying to fix it their motor basically crumbles to pieces.
prepare for that.

The motor housing is made of steel as is the mount however GM decided to use a grade of Nylon for the transmission case that has poor UV stability. Some will last a long time while others crack.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

I would remove the seat to replace the coupler. First disconnect the electrical plug, then remove the seat track covers and 10mm seat bolts from each corner. Move the seat back forward and lift the whole unit out of the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor