Plastic Fasteners for Landau Top Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I got my top replaced and as they were putting the trim back together the plastic fastners broke because they were brittle. Mainly the large ones for the b pillar and the smaller clips for the chrome/painted strip at the bottom of the rear window.

Are these available new? Does anyone have any that they have removed their top and no longer need them? This is for a 78 Cutlass and these may be specific to the A body from 78 to 80.

Any help is appreciated.

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
http://carpak.com/files2/7_MouldingClips2005.pdf

Looks like they may repro these, but the Fisher Manual does not give me the detail to figure out which one I need. The car is at the body shop. But I see item 77-4596 might be the one for the b-pillar?

Chevyfanaddict

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2014
They sell them at OPGI and also Ebay. Im having the same problem, took my moldings off and now have broke about half a dozen of them

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
What a joke. hit up forum member 88hurstolds on here, or maybe tobyp. It's doubtful anyone else is going to have them. Even cars as new as 2002 w/ vinyl tops have those fugly allen head screws holding the new top material on... I think I'm going to just delete my top. I'm not going to let some b*tch f-----t screw be the undoing of me no thx

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Go to your local scrap yard and get some off other GM's if there are no G bodys on hand. They used the same clips on alot of other GM products. I did find some at a dealer but the price of them made me walk away.

Most of those will also be brittle from age, broken, and break when attempting to remove. Just get some new ones, junkyard ones aren't worth the pain.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What a joke. hit up forum member 88hurstolds on here, or maybe tobyp. It's doubtful anyone else is going to have them. Even cars as new as 2002 w/ vinyl tops have those fugly allen head screws holding the new top material on... I think I'm going to just delete my top. I'm not going to let some b*tch f-----t screw be the undoing of me no thx

Just to warn you, deleting the vinyl top is a major job. You will need quarter windows from a hard top as well as reworking the roof seams. GM performed very poor bodywork on the quarter panel to roof seams because they knew the vinyl would hide it (Ford and Mopar did this too). They also used lower quality body filler than the hard tops. Rust damage under the vinyl isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Most of those will also be brittle from age, broken, and break when attempting to remove. Just get some new ones, junkyard ones aren't worth the pain.

I didn't take any broken ones and got a bunch of spares just in case any did break while installing. All the clips cost me a few coffee while the new ones are a few $$ a piece at the dealer. The ones I used worked very well and they were no pain at all so I could the money saved on something else. Plus I like strolling through the scrap yard to see what's new in the yard. I see you marked my post with an idea to save money as dumb but that is expected of you.

Last edited:

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
the body shop used butlyl tape, and its holding up; however I have that on my list to order new clips. I think the clips for the b pillar is different on the A body vs the G body. The body shop showed me one clip and its a wide clip with a big pin to go into the body. The other clips are smaller that go around the rear window.

IMG_20150308_172937_269_zpsfknxrzx6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor