Plastic vapor barrier behind door panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson350

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2013
Florida, USA
As it always goes, anytime any of us go to remove a door panel to work on an untouched 31 year old car, of course the original plastic vapor barrier is going to crumble and break into a zillion pieces. I just took out the back door panels to fix my vent windows, and had this issue.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a new one? I've seen people on other websites making them using thicker than usual painters drop cloth, but they only had a flat door to work with (simple, just cut a piece and seal it on), whereas on G bodies the plastic barrier is more three dimensional due to the way that the door panel is shaped.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As you said, the front doors are easy because the surfaces are flat. I've used heavier gauge plastic for my front doors by using the old paper barrier as a template.
The rear doors, as you know, is a different story. They were starting to break apart. In the meantime, I taped them together using either packaging tape, or duct tape. I know it sounds crude, but the way I look at it, it's better than nothing.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's not really a vapor barrier. It is there so that whatever water enters the door past the window drains down to the bottom of the door and out the door drains harmlessly. Same principal as tar paper on siding or roofs, is to drain the water without getting the door panels wet. In fact I've seen tar paper used in doors, and it worked. But thick plastic sheet works best and can be kind of formed around obstructions.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have gutted a few doors in the junk yard over the years to try and get a nice set, but they all break apart. I haven't decided on what to do with mine yet.

johnson350

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2013
Florida, USA
Well I redid mine, didn't snap any pictures, I may get a few when I do the driver rear door (which has a black trash bag temporarily duck taped inside :lol: )

So here's how I redid mine. I bought 2 mil plastic drop cloth from home Depot for a few bucks. I roughly cut out a piece for the door. First cut slits for the door handle and metal arm rest support, slipped it over, then used regular black rtv silicone in the groove where the old seal was. Then after I let it dry for a few hours, I took a knife and trimmed off the extra around the edges.

Its definitely not perfect, it has creases in it where it's supposed to be indented. Still not exactly sure how to attach them at the top of the door though.

Another idea, I thought about just covering the inside side of the door panel with plastic instead of putting it on the door body itself. I think the only reason its there is to keep moisture off the panel insulation and carpeted panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor