Plow Buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well, turns out 1.6 pinto distributors are hard to come by. Pulled this one apart, top bushing was oval. After going at it with a trimmed hacksaw for what felt like 10 years, I got it out.

I had a bronze bushing that was just too big on the OD, so I started thinking outside the box, and digging into a box of random gaskets I have. Low and behold, with a slight trim, a nylon oil pump driveshaft retainer fit nice and snug.

I'm just happy I finally got to put a chevy part on this thing.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
This is how today is going.

16053983752154377539073783614430.jpg

Not getting fuel to the carb. Fuel pump barely spits when cranking, but it's also cranking slow as the starter seems to be on it's way out, hence the canadian starter cooling method.

Pulling my hair out. Stupid ford.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I also seem to be getting weak spark, as my timing light won't pick it up through the plug wires, but will through the coil wire. But when tested at the end of the plug wires, there is definitely spark, and it has coughed and tried to start once or twice.

Maybe my starter is drawing so much that my ignition is suffering? It cranks nice the first few times, but by the 4th or 5th try it has a really hard time, and the starter gets pretty warm. Cranks over nice and quick if I pull the plugs out, struggles a lot with compression though.

On the other hand, maybe not enough ground? I have a 4ga cable from the negative terminal to the back if the block, a 14ga wire from the terminal to the frame, tee'd off to the coil bracket, a heavy ground strap from the transmission to the frame, and the engine is solid mounted. Seems like plenty but maybe I'm missing something.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Extra grounds are good insurance for anything, whether it needs it or not. Starter can draw stupid high amperage figures when worn, such as 750 amps on a sprinter van diesel starter, & cause issues. Could try running jumper cables from another vehicle to a large positive wire somewhere & see if it makes any difference.

Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
20201129_134442.jpg

So that set screw looking thing is spinning with my starter bolt. Didnt see it at first, but it's so tight that I cant hold it with a screwdriver or a blade bit on a ratchet. Stupid. Im afraid to weld, cut or grind anything because the bell housing is magnesium, and often the adapters are too. Gonna need another set of hands for this one.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
View attachment 163209

So that set screw looking thing is spinning with my starter bolt. Didnt see it at first, but it's so tight that I cant hold it with a screwdriver or a blade bit on a ratchet. Stupid. Im afraid to weld, cut or grind anything because the bell housing is magnesium, and often the adapters are too. Gonna need another set of hands for this one.
It's not the end of the starter bolt?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
It's not the end of the starter bolt?

Looks like it, but the damn thing wont slide back even a sixteenth, and spins freely. There are no threads in the plate its sticking out of, and the fact that its slotted makes me think it has a coupling nut on the other end, inside the adapter plate. I can't find any good pictures of these adapters on the web though, could even be home brew.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor