Polishing a plastic emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
For all you resto guys.

Any tips on polishing the scuffs out of the clear portion? It looks like it shuffled around within the bag for who knows how long. It’s not nearly as bad straight on but it’s difficult to get a pic. I’m not sure I can fix the scratch on the chrome either, but any ideas there will be entertained.

I’d hit this with some compound but don’t want to trash it accidentally. Funny thing is I’ve got 2 of these, the other one is mint but the bow tie is funky like the tooling was damaged or something. I kicked around trying to pop out the insert but these guys are like hens teeth anymore!

88466387-001A-448B-AF9E-4C300D334309.jpeg

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
you can sand and polish that plastic the same as you would paint.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I went through Donovan’s thread and I think I’ll steal his process. I think I’m going to mount it to a header panel first to help keep it steady.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep, as the guys said, you can polish that plastic. Just go slow and careful. I understand what working on something unobtainium is like.

If polishing with a heavy duty cutting compound alone won’t take it out, hit it with a really fine sandpaper wet, like 2000 or so. I’d mask off the chrome to prevent accidentally sanding it. Then polish. I think you’ll be more than impressed with the results.

Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Yep, as the guys said, you can polish that plastic. Just go slow and careful. I understand what working on something unobtainium is like.

If polishing with a heavy duty cutting compound alone won’t take it out, hit it with a really fine sandpaper wet, like 2000 or so. I’d mask off the chrome to prevent accidentally sanding it. Then polish. I think you’ll be more than impressed with the results.
This’ll be my plan. If it doesn’t work I’m blaming you! J/K I appreciate it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have gone through this process doing tail lights, if you take your time and you can make them look better than new.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor