Poll: New Pizza Delivery Car- Fit, Fiesta or Yaris?

Yaris, Fit, or Fiesta?

• Yaris

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Fit

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Fiesta

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have decided to get a new car soon. My truck is going to need some serious work soon and I would rather not continue to spend a lot of money on a 336,000 mile vehicle. I won't be getting rid of it, but it will serve as a backup vehicle and be used when I need to haul things. As many of you know, I deliver pizza as my one and only job, so fuel economy and maintenance costs figure heavily on my choice of a work vehicle. ( I drive 2-3,000 miles a month) My criteria are that it has to be new, get 28+ EPA rated city fuel economy, have a good reliability rating, have decent resale, a manual transmission, hatchback, white paint, and air conditioning. I have figured out that if I get 30 mpg city out of the new car, it will save me $130+ per month over the fuel cost of operating my truck and that will help me to offset the payment. Why new? Well, cheap, small cars tend to be treated poorly as many people see them as disposable. I want to do proper break in and service from the moment the car is new to achieve maximum reliability. Plus, this lets me see the full term of the factory warranty as I will likely graduate college within the next 3 years and I do not want to have to pay for any expensive repairs. Also, I want to be sure the clutch is properly broken in and has not been driven by some half wit that has no idea how to properly drive a manual transmission. Now for the candidates! None of these cars are what I would call cool, but they all bring something unique to the table.

The Toyota Yaris to me is a VERY ugly car if for no other reason than the front end looks like the face of a bull terrier. However, it is about $3,000 cheaper than the other two and has an excellent reputation for reliability. It also comes with a full compliment of electronic nannys and air conditioning as standard equipment. The base model starts at $12,200 before tax, destination, etc. It also comes without a factory radio in it's most basic form, so I can get a nice deck with the savings. Fuel economy was originally rated at 34 city, but has been knocked back to 29 mpg city (36 highway) in the new rating system. As an aside, I used to better the old rating system routinely with my truck when it was new as it was rated at 21 and I got 24.

Next up is the Honda Fit. It starts at $14,900, so it is quite a bit more expensive than the Yaris. I tend to think it is ugly too, but more in a minivan sort of way. However, it does have a very clever interior which makes excellent use of space. The dash is my favorite of the three as it uses blue lighting which is very soothing to look at. Fuel economy is rated at 28 city/ 33 highway, and is the worst of the three. However it does have a very good reputation for reliability and is rated near the top by Consumer Reports, as is the Yaris (They are rated #2 and #3 in small car reliability.). My biggest gripe though is that it uses a timing belt. This is an expensive and time consuming maintenance item that the Yaris does not have as it uses a chain. Supposedly it drives much nicer than the Yaris as well, but then it is more expensive. It does come with more standard equipment though, and includes things like a CD player and Power windows than the Yaris does not. Do I need those things? Not really, but they do explain some of the cost difference. However, it does not have stability control, which the Yaris comes with standard. To get it, you are forced to get the top of the line model which can top $18k.

Finally we have the Ford Fiesta. This is a European Ford that is coming to the US market within the next 6 months. I have read nothing but good things about it and the reviewers have praised it's fuel economy, driving dynamics and the quality and comfort of the interior. Of the three, it is the best looking, and gets the best fuel economy with 29 city/38 highway. However, the red radio screen on the top of the dash is a bit glaring to me, and the radio layout also means it will be nigh unto impossible to ever fit a standard DIN deck in the dash should it ever fail. Also, it is a new product to this market and as such is very much an unknown quantity. I have yet to see one in person and have no idea how I will like it in reality. I do not know if it uses a timing belt or chain, but I do know that it comes with all those electronic nannys that the Yaris has. It is the most expenisve of the three, with a price of $15,300 for the cheapest hatchback. Like the Fit, it does have a lot of extras included at that price, and a basic model is not available.

So.. that is my dilemma. I am selling my AMC project car to help raise the money for a substantial down payment, and because I simply have grown tired of it. I tend to think the Yaris makes the most sense, but then again I am not in love with it either. However, I don't love any of them and see whatever I get as an appliance to get me through this part of my life as I get ready to move on from this occupation.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Hmmm, as a fellow pizza delivery guy, I find this to be a great question. Unfortunately, I've never been inside the Ford or Toyota models. However a girl I'm seeing has a Honda Fit. Seems well built, the seats are reasonably comfortable, and the interior is amazingly spacious for such a small car. One night she commented that she'd forgotten how small my Daytona was inside, even though it's a much larger car (that weighs half a ton more). I haven't driven her car yet, but she says it's fun to drive, although it could use a little more power. But it gets about 40mpg on the highway.

I would also venture to guess that the Honda will maintain the best resale value, if that matters to you. But I know pizza guys tend to drive cars well beyond their normal life span. My suggestion to you is to get as much seat time as possible in each option, and choose the one with the best brakes, most comfortable seats, and easiest entry/exit.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
supercrackerbox said:
Hmmm, as a fellow pizza delivery guy, I find this to be a great question. Unfortunately, I've never been inside the Ford or Toyota models. However a girl I'm seeing has a Honda Fit. Seems well built, the seats are reasonably comfortable, and the interior is amazingly spacious for such a small car. One night she commented that she'd forgotten how small my Daytona was inside, even though it's a much larger car (that weighs half a ton more). I haven't driven her car yet, but she says it's fun to drive, although it could use a little more power. But it gets about 40mpg on the highway.

I would also venture to guess that the Honda will maintain the best resale value, if that matters to you. But I know pizza guys tend to drive cars well beyond their normal live span. My suggestion to you is to get as much seat time as possible in each option, and choose the one with the best brakes, most comfortable seats, and easiest entry/exit.

That is true. I actually bought my Frontier new at an end of year clearance in 1998, and that is what I still use today. It was a decision based on being burned by American small cars in the past, and the reputation for amazing reliability that Nissan and Toyota 4 cylinder pickups had. As for the Fit, I am truly amazed at how well laid out it is inside. It feels more like a mid size than a subcompact in some ways. I just worry about the timing belt because I know how I can be with delayed maintenance on my delivery cars. If I were in a normal person's situation, ignoring something for a month or two would not be a big deal, but the amount of miles driven in this job changes the dynamics drastically. One of the things I am thinking of doing is trying to find a rental car company with one or more of the models I am interested in and getting one for a day. Not so much for delivery, but more for a road trip. While I may not be able to rent the exact model and options I want, I can get a good idea what it is like to live with the car as far as seats and such go. I also will be researching their crash test performances while trying to figure out what to get. I learned years ago that cars are cheap compared with medical bills. You can easily run up a Lexus sized bill if you are in an accident in a car that is not designed well in terms of occupant protection.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
why not just look up your previous poll on this?
i still say get a 2000-2003 jetta TDi, they're about 10k for a good one, get 50mpg, super reliable, good crash test results, low maintenance, fun to drive, good radios,low insurance, roomy...

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
If I were in your position, given your criteria, the Ford would not even be on my radar. Two of the brands you mentioned have a reputation for lasting well into 6 digit mileage, and Ford isn't one of them. Just my opinion based on my experience as an automotive technician.

It did not recieve much media attention, but Toyota had a problem with engine failures related to oil sludge build up. In some cases they denied warranty coverage, which resulted in a class action lawsuit against them. If you search for "Toyota Class Action Lawsuit" you will get a whole slew of articles on it. Aside from that, I think the problem has been corrected, and they build quality vehicles that will last a long time. But you may want to research the engine failure issue first and make that decision for yourself. I recently rented a RAV4 for a week, and while I do not like those types of vehicles, I was impressed with it. Boring and ugly, but solid and dependable.

I think the Fit would serve you well, based on my limited knowledge of it. Car & Driver (the only clean-hands car mag I read) speaks highly of it. Hondas take abuse and high mileage well, as long as you don't lower them, rice them out, etc. I generally know of no serious issues with them. I agree with you 100% on the timing belt issue.

It is unfortunate that life sometimes require us to compromise and purchase econoboxes. I have been able to fight the need to do so, as my daily driver has a 360, 3.55 gears and all wheel drive. I know I would save on gas going with one of the above models, but I am a torque addict, and I fear I would go insane driving one of those every day. However, I understand your situation, and I wish you luck with whatever model you choose.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I guess I'm less afraid of the timing belt issue. All my Dodges have belts, and I've never had one fail. The one on my old '86 Daytona that I scrapped this past summer was close to failing though. But then again, the engines in those cars are non-interference SOHC, so if one fails, there's no real damage done. I haven't seen under the hood of a Fit yet, so I couldn't guess how much work is involved to replace that.

Camshaft

Master Mechanic
May 27, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
The Yaris is one of the most hateful pieces of s**t I have ever driven. I have not enjoyed a car less, ever.

The original Fit was fun, but the new ones are bloated and I'm not quite sure they retain the same character.

We might be due for a turbo Fiesta within a couple model years, or so I was told by a Ford spokesperson.

Since someone pointed out torque...with variable valve timing, most of these engines have a torque curve flatter than Paris Hilton. And while it's a significantly lower number of foot pounds, us Americans often forget the concepts of "power to weight ratio" and "multiplication of torque through gearing." :wink: Being in the market for a new hot hatch econobox is a more enviable position to be in than some would have you believe, amigo.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
supposedly, ford will be bringing their small turbo-diesel over, it might be the festiva not sure.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Lol...theyre bringing the festiva back!?!?! :rofl: ....i knew a dude who had a 90s model and we called it the roller skate ( cuz it looked like one ) Id just go with the cheapest one. About the jetta thing..arent vw's kinda expensive to fix? Just curious, not trying to talk sh*t or anything, but do u make enough $ delivering pizza to afford a brand new car?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
vw's are no more expensive than any other regular car. and the diesels don't break too often. they're a touch harder to work on, but if you have a laptop you just need to get the Ross-Tech cable and software, and a Bentley manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor