Poly Body Mount Bushings - 78 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
I'm looking for a polyurethane body mount bushing kit for my 78 Buick Regal. All of the kits I've found so far are for the 82-87 model year cars. Does anyone what my options are? Will I need to tear the car down, measure, and order them individually?

Thanks!

Chad

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It should be the same identical kit. Technically, your car is an A-body according to the year. So is mine. '82-'87 would be specifically a G-body. Go for it, not a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Some vendors just try to use the "performance" models in the list of what a part fits. Looking at Energy Suspension's site I see that are all over the place on what the body mount kit fits. Saying it'll fit these years & these years but skips a few like with the Cutlass or not even listing them like the LeMans, Grand Am & Century. This link don't have a A/G's listed but they will work on a '78-'87 Regal. I got this set for my '81 Monte Carlo.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Some vendors just try to use the "performance" models in the list of what a part fits. Looking at Energy Suspension's site I see that are all over the place on what the body mount kit fits. Saying it'll fit these years & these years but skips a few like with the Cutlass or not even listing them like the LeMans, Grand Am & Century. This link don't have a A/G's listed but they will work on a '78-'87 Regal. I got this set for my '81 Monte Carlo.
I'm also using the same Energy Suspension kit, and you're absolutely right about what models they indicate will fit. I could never understand that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008

I've always been a little confused as to whether my 78 counted as an a or g body car. Some places say G...others say A. The Energy Suspension 3.4141G kit is actually the one I was looking at buying. Glad to hear it worked on your 81. Did you buy new bolts or reuse your old ones?

Thanks!

Chad

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
FWIW I used the Summit brand kit. It was cheaper and I think the bushings are slightly softer. Used it in my GP and I was happy.

I got lucky and was able to reuse the stock bolts, they all came out. Your results may vary.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've always been a little confused as to whether my 78 counted as an a or g body car. Some places say G...others say A. The Energy Suspension 3.4141G kit is actually the one I was looking at buying. Glad to hear it worked on your 81. Did you buy new bolts or reuse your old ones?

Thanks!

Chad
I have a mix of new GM & used ones based on their condition. Odds are if the mount location needs repaired the bolt might need replaced too. They do get very thin after 34-44 years. As for the A/G thing, '78-'81 cars are A's, '82 -'87/'88 are G's. But in the Fisher Body manuals I have Grand Prix's are listed a G in the body code ID. But most of the world will call any year car of this generation a G.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was also able to use a mix of old and new GM bolts. Some of my bolts were on the verge of snapping, some looked almost new, but I was fortunate to get them all out before that happened....whew! My advice is to soak the bolts weeks in advance, and gradually work them out. Be patient and don't use an impact wrench to remove them. I used the breaker bar method.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor