Polyurethane bushings making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Full

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2016
I recently had upper and lower polyurethane control arm bushings from PST installed on my ‘79 Monte Carlo. Now that they are installed they creak as I get in the car and drive. They were greased but still make noise. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do?

Last edited:

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Also did you torque the arms when the car was back on the ground under its full weight or when it was still on jack stands?

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Also did you torque the arms when the car was back on the ground under its full weight or when it was still on jack stands?

That's irrelevant for poly, which is why it's prone to squeaking.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Poly bushings squeak because they bind in multi axis rotation applications like those found in G body suspensions. Rubber bushing deflection allows for the required multi axis rotation. Rubber bushings pretty much behave like a torsion spring except the spring rate is supper low. Poly acts similar to a metal bushing that only allows for a single axis of rotation.

Rubber
rubber-bushing-rotation_001.gif

vs polyurethane
polyurethene-bushing-rotation_001.gif

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I had poly on all my suspension. Got tired of the squeaks! It was a task to tear all suspension out, I only have them in the lower rear control arms at the frame. Everywhere else there are MOOG replacement rubber.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I have the pst bushings in the a-arms on my car and have no squeaks

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Poly can squeak. You need a louder exhaust and/or sound system. Or wait until you get older and lose hearing. Or use Delrin bushings

Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I redid the complete front end on my Malibu last year and was going back and forth with the whole Poly vs. Rubber bushings. Since I'm not corner carving or drag racing, and its just something to just enjoy, I went with rubber because I didn't want to hear squeaking. I figure the stock ones lasted a little over 100,000 miles the new ones would too. This car will never see another 100,000 miles as long as I own it so it'll be someone else's problem when I kick the bucket.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did you use the Energy Suspension lube or simular on them before installing the contol arms? They suggest coating the surfaces that contact metal to reduce the noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor