Pontiac 2+2 Track Day at Motorsports Ranch, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My 17 year old did a track day in the 2+2. This was his first track event ever, and had a great Miata racer instructor to tell him where to go fast/slow on the track. 1.7 mile road course (all done in 3rd and 4th gear) and we were going a little over 100 mph at the end of the straights.

The 2+2 was on Comp TA2 340 treadwear tires (255/50R16) on 16X8 GTA's so magical tires were not involved.

I took my slightly modded 2013 5.0L Mustang so we can compare the performance of the 2+2 to a modern car. My Mustang has 10X19 Laguna seca's all around with 275/40 Continental DWs and has Camber plates, lowering springs, 14" brembos in front and 14" '13-14 GT500 brakes in rear, so its about a sporty as near stock, pre IRS mustangs get.

Because my son is a straight up novice, we were in the "novice class". This was a novice group of drivers, but most of the cars were what people would consider "fast", like a Viper ACR, a 2011 Viper roadster, a '14 Chevy SS, 2016 1LE camaro, BRZ/FRS twins, stripped out BMW's with big wings. The most major roadblocker we encountered was an Evo 8 and who wouldn't want to tear up a track with one of those..

Here is what I learned: My 5.0L could pretty much hang with every car out there. I waived a couple a cars by because they were on my tail in the corners, but realized it was a mistake on the next straight when they were like a rolling roadblock. They were obviously good drivers, but... they had sticky tires and I didn't and that was the only reason they were close. The Viper and corvette drivers weren't all that good and I dogged the rear bumper of one until they threw the checker. I really wanted that wave past point from the C6 Vette guy, but the session ended too soon.

The SS 1LE '16 camaro was a couple seconds a lap faster than my 2013 5.0 but I would hope so.

The '14 SS... All over its rear bumper on every part of the track. BRZ/FRS? sure they were fast in the slow sections but disappeared quickly in the rear view never to be seen again when the road got fast.

At least this was my view from my Mustang.

On our last session, I finally got behind my son in the 2+2. Slower traffic ahead of him made him easy to catch, but when we got a clear track, my 5.0L could not keep up with the 2+2. It was kind of shocking. With more negative camber in my front plates I could have gotten closer, but my 5,0 already more negative camber than a stock 5.0L (and has bigger wheels and tires) When my instructor drove my 5.0L in the first session he was surprised how well it handled how good the tires gripped and how neutral the car was compared to other 5.0's he had driven ...but even with a good setup, I couldn't catch the 2+2... driving a car I was all over major Iron with in earlier sessions..

My son kept trying to drift one of he fastest corners on the track and it bit him on the checker lap. He had a high school event tonight and knew it was his last lap so his instructor encouraged him to go for it, so he ended the final session sliding backwards through the dirt. Good thing the video was working for that.

Our 2+2 is a tank with full interior and steel plate everywhere.. the camera mount is 3/16" steel plate (My dad has a guy can only weld steel). A lighter G-body with a high winding LS1 would be a great cheap track day car that may not be the fastest car out there, but won't be embarrassingly slow, either. I thought my 5.0 would have no problem hanging with the 2+2. I was wrong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Did the Aerocar's have handling improvement's from the factory?

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Video unavailable?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That is awesome for your son, yourself, and the cars. Well done! The driver mod is always the most important mod.

Oh, and FWIW I am currently looking for a cost effective tire/wheel package so that I can auto-x the wagon.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I enjoy your videos UNGN, thanks for posting! Looks like your son can handle that car great!

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I was going to buy those exact tires for my S-10 Xtreme wheels so I could run CAM-T and run my 16s full-time. How do you like them for track and street use?

Also, have you ever had problems with losing power steering fluid? I'm not sure if my pump sits at a bad angle or I'm boiling fluid or both.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I was going to buy those exact tires for my S-10 Xtreme wheels so I could run CAM-T and run my 16s full-time. How do you like them for track and street use?

Also, have you ever had problems with losing power steering fluid? I'm not sure if my pump sits at a bad angle or I'm boiling fluid or both.

Comp TA2's are good overall tires. they are very predictable and wear good. They aren't going to be fast on an autocross like a 200 compound tire, though, but they have good feedback and you can trust them to not break loose for no reason. I've driven them fast in the rain, too. The continentals are better in the rain, but the comp TA's weren't bad.

We have lost power steering fluid when a hose split, but generally don't lose any. We do run a cooler in front of the radiator, so there is more fluid and it is cooler so that helps. Due to the BBC truck accessory brackets we use, the pump is about 15 degrees from vertical pointing to the passenger side, which would have helped considerably on this track/direction because it was mostly right turns.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Did the Aerocar's have handling improvement's from the factory?

They had 32mm front sway bar, a rear bar, the GP brace behind the radiator and the curved fender to cowl bars and the good 12.7:1 steering box and a good leather wrapped steering wheel.

We replaced pretty much the entire front suspension with aftermarket or GM parts off of another car. The Lower control arms and spindles are the original ones, but the LCA's have greaseable solid bushings and tall ball joints and the spindles have been modded for 12" BAER (C4 Corvette PBR calipers with 13" corvette rotors cut down to 12" by BAER) brakes and reamed for Howe upper ball joints. The wheels are 16X8 GTA's The upper control arms are SC&C adjustable with Howe tall/rebuildable balljoints. The front bar is 36mm Hollow bar from a 3rd gen TA I found in the junkyard 20 years ago.

Rear suspension is a 3.25 gear 9" ford with currie correct track arms and a fays 2 watts link. Rear bar is a spohn pro touring style bar. Shocks are single adjustable varishocks.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My 17 year old did a track day in the 2+2. This was his first track event ever, and had a great Miata racer instructor to tell him where to go fast/slow on the track. 1.7 mile road course (all done in 3rd and 4th gear) and we were going a little over 100 mph at the end of the straights.

The 2+2 was on Comp TA2 340 treadwear tires (255/50R16) on 16X8 GTA's so magical tires were not involved.

I took my slightly modded 2013 5.0L Mustang so we can compare the performance of the 2+2 to a modern car. My Mustang has 10X19 Laguna seca's all around with 275/40 Continental DWs and has Camber plates, lowering springs, 14" brembos in front and 14" '13-14 GT500 brakes in rear, so its about a sporty as near stock, pre IRS mustangs get.

Because my son is a straight up novice, we were in the "novice class". This was a novice group of drivers, but most of the cars were what people would consider "fast", like a Viper ACR, a 2011 Viper roadster, a '14 Chevy SS, 2016 1LE camaro, BRZ/FRS twins, stripped out BMW's with big wings. The most major roadblocker we encountered was an Evo 8 and who wouldn't want to tear up a track with one of those..

Here is what I learned: My 5.0L could pretty much hang with every car out there. I waived a couple a cars by because they were on my tail in the corners, but realized it was a mistake on the next straight when they were like a rolling roadblock. They were obviously good drivers, but... they had sticky tires and I didn't and that was the only reason they were close. The Viper and corvette drivers weren't all that good and I dogged the rear bumper of one until they threw the checker. I really wanted that wave past point from the C6 Vette guy, but the session ended too soon.

The SS 1LE '16 camaro was a couple seconds a lap faster than my 2013 5.0 but I would hope so.

The '14 SS... All over its rear bumper on every part of the track. BRZ/FRS? sure they were fast in the slow sections but disappeared quickly in the rear view never to be seen again when the road got fast.

At least this was my view from my Mustang.

On our last session, I finally got behind my son in the 2+2. Slower traffic ahead of him made him easy to catch, but when we got a clear track, my 5.0L could not keep up with the 2+2. It was kind of shocking. With more negative camber in my front plates I could have gotten closer, but my 5,0 already more negative camber than a stock 5.0L (and has bigger wheels and tires) When my instructor drove my 5.0L in the first session he was surprised how well it handled how good the tires gripped and how neutral the car was compared to other 5.0's he had driven ...but even with a good setup, I couldn't catch the 2+2... driving a car I was all over major Iron with in earlier sessions..

My son kept trying to drift one of he fastest corners on the track and it bit him on the checker lap. He had a high school event tonight and knew it was his last lap so his instructor encouraged him to go for it, so he ended the final session sliding backwards through the dirt. Good thing the video was working for that.

Our 2+2 is a tank with full interior and steel plate everywhere.. the camera mount is 3/16" steel plate (My dad has a guy can only weld steel). A lighter G-body with a high winding LS1 would be a great cheap track day car that may not be the fastest car out there, but won't be embarrassingly slow, either. I thought my 5.0 would have no problem hanging with the 2+2. I was wrong.
That was cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor