PONTIAC Pontiac Bonneville from 1984, Restoration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hi there everyone!

So last year, I bought a 1984 Bonneville that I ended up being ripped off off.

It was sold to me as having minimal rust, with no other problems according to the seller.

Well, I quickly found out that was not the case.

1. The gas gauge did not work. I was told it sometimes it "gets stuck", which was a lie.
2. The floor pans were completely destroyed. Transmission tunnel was..... Lets just say not much better. My bodyman was shocked when he saw it lol.
3. The dash lights did not work either, one of the 5 previous idiot owners, did a wiring job so bad when converting the dome light to LED, they never bothered to have the circuit all done in a safe manner.
4. The frame rail, at the front was cracked on the steering box.
5. The electric choke on the carburetor, was for some reason had quite the laughable wiring job.

The seller, soon stopped answering my messages despite being very patient and respectful.

But I am please to say, these problems have been fixed. And the vehicle, just got it's safety passed here in Ontario lmao.

With thanks to good people I know and previous experience working with electronics! Now I am having the 305 rebuilt, and the interior redone.

So now I present to you, the 3 months of blood, sweat, and tears to give this Pontiac Bonneville, a true royal treatment for sure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGDolAxDi4E/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGIzy-IjVQy/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHEm8Oijjr0/

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I no do insta-sham or Azz-book or Sh itter, or any of the social media crap, so I can't see any pics. How about posting them here?

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I no do insta-sham or Azz-book or Sh itter, or any of the social media crap, so I can't see any pics. How about posting them here?
Most of these repairs are in the form videos, so I can't unfortunately do that.

But here's the pictures I can do.

-Me putting on the sticker, after finally getting it cert.

Plate.jpg

The car with winters on.

Riding.jpg

With the rallys on.

Wheels.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wow, and if it had as much rust under as you said, I can see where you got duped. At first glance it seems rather solid.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Are you from the rust belt?

Did you buy this car at night and in the rain?

Because... well a 40 year old car needs a good deep look.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Wow, and if it had as much rust under as you said, I can see where you got duped. At first glance it seems rather solid.
Exactly. The car was undercoated, and the rusting was from the inside, other than a few tiny holes you could see from under it.

And the heat shield, covered the hole on the passenger side.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Are you from the rust belt?

Did you buy this car at night and in the rain?

Because... well a 40 year old car needs a good deep look.
Yes and kinda, it was later at night, but it wouldn't have mattered, because the pans even in the day time looked solid, other than a few small holes. Nothing that would have warned it was rotted from the inside, which it was.

It wasn't until the carpet was removed, that we saw the extent of what occurred, and and the heat shield was covering where the rust was on the passenger side.

The only thing we could have seen in plain sight, that would have made me question the seller, was the crack by the steering box.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Chris, very nice! It’s slim pickings on gbodys the past several years but wanting a project I bought an 82 Bonneville.
I feel fortunate that mine had minimal rust, but ended up re-doing the whole thing. I drove it almost two years as my daily and I loved it. My wife finally bought me a new Camry because she didn’t want me driving an old junker. I still have it and my grandson uses it for school. Here’s a couple pics.
timo22

Attachments

• A9EFB617-C207-4995-B4FD-4B2754A5A6E3.jpeg
    A9EFB617-C207-4995-B4FD-4B2754A5A6E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 427
  • 2AA676A2-DBD3-4BBC-9C5D-D50E8111AB88.jpeg
    2AA676A2-DBD3-4BBC-9C5D-D50E8111AB88.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Chris, very nice! It’s slim pickings on gbodys the past several years but wanting a project I bought an 82 Bonneville.
I feel fortunate that mine had minimal rust, but ended up re-doing the whole thing. I drove it almost two years as my daily and I loved it. My wife finally bought me a new Camry because she didn’t want me driving an old junker. I still have it and my grandson uses it for school. Here’s a couple pics.
timo22
Wow! Very nice frame off resto you did. How long did that take you, if you don't mind me asking? And a 305 under the hood I take it?

Btw not a bad pick for a new car, Toyota makes pretty reliable vehicles!

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I started on January 15th, 2018 and drove it home on May 15th , 2018. Worked Saturdays and Sundays.
It has a 350 , turbo 350 and a 7.5 posi. Monte SS steering box, blazer brake upgrade and all of the F41 bracing.
A couple more pics... BTW was a 3.8 V6 car
88CABA6A-B0C0-4260-BA39-F25F88F61BE3.jpeg
2A85A2F2-4947-46BC-8D62-CCFDBA907D5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor