Pontiac Holy Grail for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1969/70 Pontiac Ram Air 5 for $150,000. I thought this was a typo and just for the intake. But no, this is a complete Pontiac Ram Air 5 tunnel port engine all in parts. I don't know this guy but he seems to be known in Pontiac circles. I could have had one in 1977 just when I was buying my house. The $2000 price was just not doable at the time. For those that don't know, the RA5 was an over-the-counter only ultra high performance engine that was intended for the GTO and Trans Am. Forged everything, huge tunnel ports, Holley 4545 carb, mechanical cam, basically race only. The few that were bought and ran made unbelievable power. In fact one of the criticisms was that is was too insane for any car. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1146917235...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
1631761278036.png

Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, BOP did some awesome things years back. Supposedly up coming emissions along with Brother Chevrolet, who threw a fit when they were to be upstaged, so many never saw the light of day. Didn't Pontiac have a Hemi developed as well? A very cool motor.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
RA5 stuff is rare as hens teeth but unless you are building a million dollar car, it's not worth the money. The motor is meant for racing, it's almost unstreetable. If you have to have a 5, I know a guy repoping that stuff.
As the ebay ad says, it's not a factory installed motor. So anything you build will be not original unless you happen to have the one test car that they built. For the ultra rich, has one of everything, Pontiac collector, it's worth buying. That's a pretty limited market though. Of course there's a pretty limited supply of parts too. It's cools to see available but out of my price range permanently. Besides, you would never build it and run it. That would destroy it's unique in the box value. God forbid you scatter it.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
RA5 stuff is rare as hens teeth but unless you are building a million dollar car, it's not worth the money. The motor is meant for racing, it's almost unstreetable. If you have to have a 5, I know a guy repoping that stuff.
As the ebay ad says, it's not a factory installed motor. So anything you build will be not original unless you happen to have the one test car that they built. For the ultra rich, has one of everything, Pontiac collector, it's worth buying. That's a pretty limited market though. Of course there's a pretty limited supply of parts too. It's cools to see available but out of my price range permanently. Besides, you would never build it and run it. That would destroy it's unique in the box value. God forbid you scatter it.

Oh I get that, I'd just like to nerd out a bit is all.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here: https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/pontiac-ram-air-v-that-never-was/https://www.pontiacv8.com/blog/2019/11/26/ram-air-v-camshaft-do-you-know-its-valve-lift and here is what McCarty Racing made: an all aluminum version: http://cruisintigers.com/wp-content/uploads/aluminumramairv.pdf. And this: http://www.wallaceracing.com/RAV-articles.html. I also could have had a Super Duty 455 in exchange for a regular 400. The guy was pissed he could not get even simple replacement parts for it. Back then it was very hard to get stuff. I would have had to remove and replace them in an underground garage in Forest Hills with no electricity or water. But again, with small babies, in the middle of winter, it was wrong time-wrong place. Still kicking myself in the azz.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Probably my oldest friend left around used to be a poncho guy before getting into grand nationals. He started out just with goats/lemans/tempest hot rods, then did trans ams. When he bought some parts car or another, oh, had to be early to mid 1980s he got one of the rare sets of RA heads in the trunk. 3 days later he sold just the heads for 5x what he bought the car for.

Funny thing is, he's never said "wish I'd kept them" he always says "it was a killer deal at the time and let me buy and sell a bunch of other junk over the years I never could've had I kept those heads."

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor