pontiac transmission and driveshaft info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper1991

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
i have a 87 gp that came with the 4.3 and a 4 speed auto(200r4?) i am going to install a 71 pontiac 400.i have the transmission that was in the car, although it was not running when i bought it. i also have a turbo 350 and 400 trans that i know are good to go.what driveshafts are compatable with each transmission or do they need to be shortened or lenghtened?thanks brian

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
if it is in fact the Th2004r leave it in the car... they have universal bellhousings... so they will bolt right up to a pontiac engine... otherwise the th350 will bolt right in...with the proper crossmember...the driveshaft is the same... but im telling ya.. OD is nice!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I am with Beeter. Add a good shift kit such as the one www.CKPerformance.com sells ($99) and a large cheap transmission cooler otherwise it will not hold up to the abuse especially not if you ever put slicks on her. You can have a 1/4 mile gear say a 3.73 AND low rpm highway cruising plus good mileage. $3.00+ a gallon makes this almost a no brainer if you actually plan to put some miles on her.

The flip side is if your engine has been built up and will actually put out more than 500 foot pounds of torque especially if you have some traction and plan to add a converter so it hits hard and or some slicks then you would need to have a street strip build on the transmission by a shop that has experience in building hi po 200-4Rs which should include a billet drum/shaft, read probably $2k maybe a little more depending on who & where its done.

If you only plan to put say 2,000 miles on a summer only going to the local car show or trailering it to the strip then by all means use one of the 3 speeds.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
go to CKPerformance and Bowtie Overdrives and check out their trans and prices. both build a VERY good performance unit and have very good prices. just specify that you want a GN type valve body/"tune". and read Bowtie's "TV101" and adjust the cable RIGHT.
the 200r4 i believe has the same 1-3 gearing as the 350 so you won't lose any real performance but you will enjoy the reduced fuel mileage of OD not to mention not having to hear the engine scream at 60mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor