GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks like you need a 12 point socket. I would get new flywheel bolts.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
WOW those are crusty.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
This motor was sprayed with Glasurit in 1998.
And man did it stick. It took countless rounds of paint stripper and I still have plenty of prepping left to do before it is ready for a new coat.
I'm buying new valve covers and am going to keep my old ones painted as I drove it in high school.

I have decided to go with Pontiac Metallic Blue. I realize it is not the color that match the year of the car or block but I love it and want people to instantly realize I am running a Pony.
Metallic Blue seems like quintessential Pontiac so it wins the job.

Feel good about these Maddogs.

I spent a lot of time cleaning out my head threads and boy what a difference.
I can hand tighten each bolt all the way. Makes my wonder why I didn't do this in 1998.

Understanding it always easier on an engine stand, I feel pretty good about my gameplan for final install.
With that, hope is often just postponed disappointment so I'm pumping my excitement brakes.

• I'm curious about the oil pump fitment.
  • Starter looks like it has plenty of space.
  • Still need to decide on how I am going to protect my headers.
  • Still trying to decide on engine paint
  • I might use KBS Motor Coater and XTC for engine and headers

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I would wrap the starter body with some thermal blanket crap and just go straight to a remote solenoid set up. Don't mess with the GM solenoid. I've never had one last with hedders. Invariably it's going to fail when you are far from home, it's dark and everyone you know is on vacation in Alaska. Oh it will be raining too, just to add insult to injury

• Haha

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I would wrap the starter body with some thermal blanket crap and just go straight to a remote solenoid set up. Don't mess with the GM solenoid. I've never had one last with hedders. Invariably it's going to fail when you are far from home, it's dark and everyone you know is on vacation in Alaska. Oh it will be raining too, just to add insult to injury

I have a mini starter so I am hoping the heat soak goes away

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
That may do it. I have no experience with the mini starters. I'm old school. I idle poorly and carry a large starter

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor