GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I would be.

A little background...
The motor has been in the car for 20 years.
The car has only been intermittently driven over the past 20 years.
It has not ran in the past 3 years.

I have never messed with the heater core even though my heat has never worked.

Flushing the intake is going to be easy.

I mean, even with my limited experience, I have to imagine these deposits are in my water pump and throughout the block.

How do I go about removing them?
Can I do something similar to flushing the motor out?
Or is removal of the water pump for inspection in order?

Any guidance would be appreciated?

Thank you,
Corey

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I want to flush motor and would really appreciate some advice.

The intake is off so it needs to go back on to properly flush, correct?

What would be the best way to temporarily reinstall manifold?
Can I temporarily leave the old gasket on?

Are there any products that could aid in the actual flushing or just water?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
df36bc13ecf933240fc20b46c8533fbd.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, the right way to do it would involve pulling all the freeze plugs, but you would have to make sure nothing got into the intake and exhaust ports and oil. The Poncho has a valley pan, so that helps a ton. Just a suggestion: maybe fill the water jackets from the intake ports with diluted CLR https://clrbrands.com/en-US/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover (one side at a time, tilted on the engine stand), let it soak, then remove the freeze plugs, and flush with a hose? Just a thought.......

Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I just watched a video on installing freeze plugs. It looks straight forward. Permatex aviation sealant? It looks like I need a special tool to pound them in.

If this is the best way, its how I would feel good about.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Well, the right way to do it would involve pulling all the freeze plugs, but you would have to make sure nothing got into the intake and exhaust ports and oil. The Poncho has a valley pan, so that helps a ton. Just a suggestion: maybe fill the water jackets from the intake ports with diluted CLR https://clrbrands.com/en-US/Products/CLR-Household/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover (one side at a time, tilted on the engine stand), let it soak, then remove the freeze plugs, and flush with a hose? Just a thought.......
What exactly does removing the freeze plugs do for you?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You will have better access to the water jackets in the block to get in there with a bottle brush or something, plus it will be a bigger hole(s) to get big chunks out if there are any. Alternatively, the quick and dirty way would be to put it back together, run the CLR and water through the whole system, get it up to operating temp, shut it off, and yank the lower radiator hose by letting the pressure push it out. You run the risk of getting that crap in the radiator and heater core, though.

Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
You will have better access to the water jackets in the block to get in there with a bottle brush or something, plus it will be a bigger hole(s) to get big chunks out if there are any. Alternatively, the quick and dirty way would be to put it back together, run the CLR and water through the whole system, get it up to operating temp, shut it off, and yank the lower radiator hose by letting the pressure push it out. You run the risk of getting that crap in the radiator and heater core, though.
The motor is on a stand. This is beginning to sound like a no brainer. $20 in parts and a hose.
Im not sure if it is even a question since motor is out of car.

Thanks for your responses

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
My block is a 74.
20 yrs ago a friend of mine painted with Glasurit color match to (I can't remember)

Anyway...

I really like the metallic blue Pontiac engine paint but also like the idea of the block color matching factory.

What are your thoughts Pontiac people?

Should they be factory color?

Im on the fence because metallic blue seems to me to be a signature Pontiac color whereas other Pontiac colors look like Fords.

I love the fact Im running a Pontiac motor in my Grand Prix and like idea of motor color being obvious.

a379012cc0982990f98da8e86d139f09.jpg

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Since it isn't the original motor I would go with Pontiac blue metallic.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
My block is a 74.
20 yrs ago a friend of mine painted with Glasurit color match to (I can't remember)

Anyway...

I really like the metallic blue Pontiac engine paint but also like the idea of the block color matching factory.

What are your thoughts Pontiac people?

Should they be factory color?

Im on the fence because metallic blue seems to me to be a signature Pontiac color whereas other Pontiac colors look like Fords.

I love the fact Im running a Pontiac motor in my Grand Prix and like idea of motor color being obvious.

a379012cc0982990f98da8e86d139f09.jpg
Since my grand prix is an 82 there was no pontiac v-8 available that year so I went with GM corporate blue
20190830_185649.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor