Por-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutch949

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2016
Was having my back glass replaced today and when the installer got the old one out,of course there is some pretty good rust inside the channel where the new glass will sit.He did not put the new glass in. Told me to get rid of the rust and prime it and he will come back.Some pitting in some spots, but no holes anywhere.Is it ok to put Por-15 on it? I know not to get it on the area where the new paint will be seen.The installer wasn’t sure if the new sealer he puts on will mate with por-15.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With the POR-15 they suggest to start spraying light coats of primer into the wet applied coats the allow the primer & POR-15 to bond with each other as the primer builds on/in the drying POR-15. After the primer/POR-15 mix dries coat with a few color coats then it'll be reay for the glass primer. Trying to apply anything over dried POR-15 won't stick good unless you use their special primer.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I painted my pinch weld with POR 15 with 2 coats, let it dry a few day , then put the urethane on the windshield and dropped it in place. Lots of guys have done it that way and POR 15 works great.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would clean the metal, treat with a rust converter, and paint it with 2K epoxy primer.

87Cuts

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles
My go to with rust is always grind, cut, or weld it out. If that’s not possible or convenient depending on what you’re doing then POR 15 2 coats over a properly prepped surface. POR 15 gets a bad rap but degreasing and that metal etch stuff are pretty necessary for a sustainable long lasting job.
I’ll let it sit and cure then scuff it with either 80 or 180 grit and lay down 2-3 coats of epoxy primer. Epoxy is going to be your best bet at sealing anything down, it has no problem sticking to keyed POR 15. I think a lot of people just shoot whatever primer right over the cured POR 15 without creating a nice mechanical adhesion with some sandpaper.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor