posi options

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
ok so now is time to trak down soviet posi unit for soviet made cutlass. lol no ok so i have heard that the guts from a 7.5 s-10 posi rear shold switch in. which years had this option and what should i look for price wise. also i have heard of ppl swapping ford rears into their g's howmuch work is it to do this?

If you have a torch set and a welder, that's a good start. If you can fabricate stuff, and have excellent mechanical ability, it's not that difficult, and has its advantages over the stock housing. If none of those things are you, just get a good stock posi unit, put some 3:73s in that baby, and get on down the road ! 😀 .............mickey-d :lol:

there's no strength difference between a 7.5 S-10 rear and a g-rear. if you're looking for cheap improvement, either find a GN 8.5in rear (best) or a late (86-88?) monte SS 7.625in rear. both of these will need the entire housing, but are direct bolt ons. btw, they came w and w/out posi, so check first.

mickey-d said:
If none of those things are you, just get a good stock posi unit, put some 3:73s in that baby, and get on down the road ! 😀 .............mickey-d :lol:

If you are fund limited he is right...look at some of the sigs on this site a lot of people get away with it for a while. The 7.5 is by far a weak link but there are upgrades you can do. You can buy stronger axles for the 7.5. This is a very easy posi unit to install http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1930-LR/. However if you do go to a posi with the 7.5 stay away from sticky tires. As far as the question you asked lol I am pretty sure the s10 unit will work as long as it is not a 28 spline unit.....don't worry someone will correct me if i am wrong about that, but i am pretty sure it's a go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor