posi question

Jesse80

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
is it possible to convert a one wheel drive rearend into posi? or do I need to replace the housing and a new axle?

foxtrot

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
It can be done by installing a posi-traction carrier but it's not a simple job. To do it right, one would need experience and special tools. Its easier to just find a rear differential that is already posi-traction and bolt it in place..

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

G-Body Guru
Dec 23, 2016
Should my rear ended have a torsion bar? As far as I know it’s the stock rearend.
Nope no torsion bar. Looks pretty stock to me.

M

Michael Watts

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2017
Just have the open rear center section changed for a posi one .And at he same time do any upgrades you want. You can do it to a 7.5 rear end .Or go go to an 8.5 if you are going to put a really healthy engine ,Especially one with a manual transmission .Its stronger.If you have the skills you can do it yourself .Or have a knowledgeable friend.or shop do it.Your choice .Good luck to you. .

Jesse80

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
thanks for the responses. I'm doing a few different things to the car at the same time, but advice is always welcome.
more then likely ill have a friends shop do the work, I don't know much bout drive trains.
I was trying to find the id numbers on my housing but this is all I could find. There was nothing on the axel housing and no tag on the cover :(

Attachments

pagrunt

pagrunt

Royal Smart Person
Sep 14, 2014
Shelocta, Pa
Look for stamping on the axle tubes for any ID codes.