Posi questions how can I tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
I seen a 80s Buick regal in junkyard how do I know if its a posi and if so will that one work in my 79 elcamino or Malibu ......

Nov 4, 2012
Look for the "G80" option code on the RPO sticker on the underside of the trunk. And yes, it will work in your car.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You can tell just by lookin at it if it's an 8.5 or 7.5. The 7.5s have little fangs off the bottom below the diff cover where the 8.5s have a squared lip. Both the 7.5 and 8.5 are bolt in deals but the 8.5 requires a slightly shorter driveshaft. That being said I highly doubt someone let an 8.5 sit in a junkyard considering they go for around $800 in stock form :roll: If the car is lifted rotate one tire, then check to see which direction the opposite tire is spinning. If they both spin the same direction you have limited slip(posi). If they spin the opposite ways its an open diff. Or you could do what nobody thinks to do and pull the cover that way you can find out what kind of carrier it has, the gear ratio, and the overrall condition of it.

85SSct

n00b
Jan 10, 2013
Waterbury CT
only turbo buicks came with the 8.5 unless they got swapped otherwise u will have to id it

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
85SSct said:
only turbo buicks came with the 8.5 unless they got swapped otherwise u will have to id it

Not so. 84+ olds 442's came with or had the option of them as well, maybe even others.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
All 78-88 gbody rear ends are interchangeable. The only difference is 78-81 has standard lug bolts & 82-88 has metric. I've had good luck finding posi's in el caminos. I just put a rear end out of a 79 el Camino in my cutlass.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
You don't really need a 8.5, unless you're running it down the track with slicks or just doing crazy burnouts all the time. IMO. The only ones with the 8.5 are 1984 up GN, 442, Hurst, T type. Still a lot of these aren't even posi.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
So I have to go back and look but I'm guessing this isnt posi than I just noticed one wheel turned and one wheel did not

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Usually, if you spin the wheel on a non posi, both wheels turn in opposite directions. With the other wheel not turning at at, it makes me think someone possibly installed a gov lock locker in it. When you turn the wheels on a rear end with a gov lock, only one spins. The locker doesn't engage until the other wheel has spun one or two rounds under load, then Both wheels spin. They will never turn both by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor