Positive Cable Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Making more progress on my 81 Malibu. Got the right side inner fender in tonight and sprayed the radiator shroud again.
I also threw in the battery tray. My question is how did everyone route the positive battery cable to the starter ? I think the previous owner ran it along the frame and through an opening between the header tubes. Theres room between the tubes on the Schoenfelds but is that a smart idea ? Looks like it would be pretty close either way. What have you guys done ?
Photos would be a big plus !

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i thought i had a pic but it's...somewhere.i bent my cable eyelet to 90 degree so the cable runs toward the front of the motor and exits by the motor mount.i used an insulated cable clamp on the bottom of the motor mount (that has one hole hanging off the frame)to safely secure the cable to it

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My cable runs along the frame but comes up near the passenger fender to a remote solenoid and I then have a shorter cable that goes directly to the starter off the solenoid.

IMG_1478.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
But how did you route the cable to the starter ? Between the header tubes ? Around the back of the last tube ? How close to a header tube is too close ?
I have the cable mounted to the firewall and it loops around the back of the header and goes across the top of the starter to a 90 degree copper lug.
There is probably an inch or more clearance from the header tube but I put heat tape on the cable to protect it.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Along the frame, under the motor mount and headers then up to battery. I have some DEI Cooltube on mine to keep the heat away, but it will be replaced with DEI heat sheath (as you can see on 565bbchevy's pic,) as the cooltube is peeling and falling apart after only a few years on there.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I actually used a '70's C/K square body cable and ran it over the intake, bolting the clamps with the valve cover top bolts, then down the back to the starter. It was the right lenth and didn't have to worry about it coming in contact with the Heddmans.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Parallel with the oil pan with insulated brackets and a 90 at the cranking motor.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Has anyone here done a battery relocation kit to the trunk? I’ve been thinking about it for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor