Possible brake upgrade from McGaughy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I would guess thats not too bad a price.
For my money I would get something that will still be "off the shelf" at parts stores instead of a cobbled up kit.
98-03 Blazer Drop spindles ( $350 ish ), then sealed hubs ( $250 ish ) and run the stock 98-03 brakes and dual piston calipers ( another $300 or so ). Or you can purchase brackets as a stand alone to fit larger rotors and calipers

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Best to avoid drop spindles.

• Agree

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Drilled rotors are actually mostly just a fashion statement, and under heavy abuse they are prone to cracking. Blank rotors with good brake pads are a top performer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
I would guess thats not too bad a price.
For my money I would get something that will still be "off the shelf" at parts stores instead of a cobbled up kit.
98-03 Blazer Drop spindles ( $350 ish ), then sealed hubs ( $250 ish ) and run the stock 98-03 brakes and dual piston calipers ( another $300 or so ). Or you can purchase brackets as a stand alone to fit larger rotors and calipers

IMO, swapping the s10 brakes is more "cobbled together" than the McGaughy's kit, and is a 13" diameter rotor, as opposed to 11" for the s10. Granted the s10 set up would enable one to purchase wear items at a local parts store.

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
Best to avoid drop spindles.

Any reason for this "advice"? I am currently running belltech dropped spindles on my 79 that installed over 15 yrs ago (originally listed for a an s10) with no issues whatsoever. I lt didn't even need any alognment adjustment.

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
I am thinking i will pull the trigger on this, since i also have a 55 first series five window on an s10 chassis. If for some reason it wont work the 'bu, i can use it on that. Looks like i will need to give them a call, though. The ebay auction states "must use 17" wheels". However, the website adds "Factory 17" wheels will work with a slight modification. Aftermarket cast 17" wheels likely won't work." Huh? (I am currently running 17" Rocket Booster wheels up front, 18" in the rear.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
When they say massive GM caliper, I am assuming they have the 2.0" diameter pistons that come on the 1999 and up Silverado/Sierra as that is what they look like in the picture. If that is the caliper, they will be cast iron, but because the size of the caliper pistons (2.0" diameter), it should perform substantially better than the Corvette (1.59" diameter pistons) or Camaro (1.77" diameter pistons) twin piston calipers. Larger pistons mean better clamping forces and cast iron usually does not deflect as much as an aluminum caliper. The calipers will weigh almost twice as much (I am guessing) as the Corvette or Camaro calipers.

I would get more specs on the calipers, rotor width, etc before dropping $830.

If they are the 1999 and up Silverado/Sierra calipers, it should stop great with larger 13" rotors and it should have better braking abilities than the 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers combinations. That is because the 6 piston calipers have a smaller piston area of around 4.25-4.0 square inches per caliper versus 6.28 square inches of piston area per caliper for the Silverado twin piston calipers. That is about 30% larger piston area. Larger piston areas "usually" means more clamping forces regardless of piston count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor