possible ignition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
I was driving my car a (88 monte carlo ss with 350 sbc)couple months ago, and when i was taking off from a traffic light the engine cut off. I was able immediately able to start it back up. I drove about 1/4 mile and it stalled again and wasnt able to start it up again. I then bought a hei upgrade kit and installed it yesterday. I replaced the coil and module, still no luck. I triple checked to make sure the plug wires was in the correct firing order. The only thing it does now since i replaced te coil and module is backfire through the carb but still not start. what you guys think i should do or check?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
My guess is the timing chain jumped a tooth on the gear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Did you replace/check the little carbon button (has a spring on it and a little nub) and it's rubber/felt grommet that sits under the coil?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If you took the dizzy out it could be 180 off.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Backfire through the carb says it's out of time somehow.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
1st thing: Did you take distributor out? If so, put it back:)
Timing chain on a small block is really rare to fail as both sprockets are metal. Not unheard of.
Backfire tells me you probably have spark. So you need to make sure you have spark to the plugs. Now it has to be at right time so pull #1 plug. Tap engine over to get on compression stroke, turn crank to TDC and see where rotor points. It should point to #1 plug wire. If it does, good. Dis-able ignition by unplugging at coil and take a fuel sample in a glass jar. Let set a couple minutes and if you have a bunch of water you will see it. Good time to check fuel pressure also.
There is always the question of the right amount of spark. My recommendation is to buy an HEI spark tester. It looks like a spark plug and you first hook to coil wire to see if it bridges gap. Then you hook up to plug wire end to see if it bridges gap. You can have a weak coil that will produce some spark. The spark tester loads the coil to bridge that gap. You have spark or you don't with a spark tester

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Depending on where the 350 came from, if is a rebuild or crate engine this I think would eliminate the possibility of a timing chain issue
Besides ignition I would be also checking the fuel side of the equation.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the engine shut down and restarted right away that isn't a mechanical issue, it's electrical and/or fuel related. Now that he has tried to fix that problem it seems he has compounded the problem. The op said he changed the module and I have seen a wire break off from the pick up coil when they get moved around. The wires get somewhat brittle from being in the heat for so many years

Last edited:
  • Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need a timing light to confirm you have spark at the right time and a piston stop to confirm the timing mark on the balancer is correct (basically confirming the balancer outer ring hasn't slipped on the rubber section.) If no spark, then find out why. If you have spark, then most likely a fuel issue,. Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor