Possible rear end swaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
The time has come again to progress on my not-so-little '78 Malibu build.
As I'm sure most of the people on this forum know, the 7.5" rear end that came in G-bodies is one of the weakest GM made, and can't hold up to a substantial power increase, at least not for long.
I've done a few sparse research sessions over the past few months, and am starting to narrow down on a 9" swap from QuickPerformance, like this one.
Of course, that is just an idea for now.
What I'd like to know is what rear ends/rear end kits people have swapped into their G-bodies, especially those who have done the famed big block swaps.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
After blowing up the 7,5 behind my big block I got a 9 inch.
Mine came from Forrest and Forrest Racing in Kitchener Ontario.
The price was right and it’s been bulletproof after 15 years of abuse.
A side bonus was that it came with bigger drums than stock for better stopping power.
Guy

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
As most people who have been around these cars know, a stronger rear end is not a cheap proposition.
You should realistically plan to spend $1k plus on any true "bolt in" whether it is one of the many Ford 9inch rears, Moser 12 bolt or Dana 60 or even a posi equipped 8.5 10 bolt from an 84-87 Turbo Regal or Olds Hurst/442. Other options such as 65-72 A body rear ends, Fox body Ford 8.8's are not true bolt ins as they require special adaptive control arms, welding coil spring perches, rims with different back spacing, etc.
People typically look at the cheapest option and don't think about other items such as brakes and drive shafts that also have to be taken into account.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You should realistically plan to spend $1k plus on any true "bolt in" whether it is one of the many Ford 9inch rears, Moser 12 bolt or Dana 60
Any aftermarket complete bolt in rear will be more like $2,000 +

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have an 8.2" A body rear. It's from a 67 Chevelle so it's 2.5" wider than a G body rear. I have the UMI conversion uppers and UMI lowers with a Roto Joint on one end to install the rear end and the driveshaft has to be shortened 1". From what I read the rear end can handle up to 500 hp. If you use the 68-72 Chevelle rear you don't need a Roto Joint on the lower control arms and the UMI conversion upper will work but that rear end is 4.5" wider than the G body rear. The 10 bolt and 12 bolt A body rears are the same width. I paid $600 for the 8.2 rear, it's an Eaton posi and had the 3.08 gears I was looking for.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe you should read where I said $1k plus.
Yes, I read it IMO $1k plus would lead someone to believe it is possibly well under $2,000 but maybe I am wrong.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I went with a QP 9. Just under $2,000,00 Glad I did. One thing I’ve wondered is, how much power can a stock 8.5 handle ? The average purchase price of an unknown quality rear seems to be $1,000.00. Then if you have to rebuild it for whatever you need/want, your probably talking about the same amount of money. Thats why I went the route I did.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I went with a QP 9. Just under $2,000,00 Glad I did. One thing I’ve wondered is, how much power can a stock 8.5 handle ? The average purchase price of an unknown quality rear seems to be $1,000.00. Then if you have to rebuild it for whatever you need/want, your probably talking about the same amount of money. Thats why I went the route I did.
I know a lot of Turbo Buick guys running into the 10 second range at 3500+ pounds on a 8.5 with stock axles and carrier. Fastest I know of is Cal Hartline who went mid 8's with axles and spool on a G body 8.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor