Possible to straighten a front "Grand Prix" frame brace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey guys,

The "Grand Prix" frame brace that connects the front frame horns behind the front bumper on my GP is bent. It looks to me like someone thought that was a good place to hook up a chain and pull the car by it. It has a nice "V" bend near the middle of it. What are your thoughts on straightening it? Heat it up and try to bend it back? Put it in the press and try to bend it back? Just replace it? My Dad has a torch setup but his vice is kinda small. I have enough to do. I think I'd like to just take it somewhere and get it straightened or send it off somewhere and get it straightened, or replace it. I'd rather fix it than throw it away as there is a limited number of these things. Where to take it though? A welding/fabrication shop? A leaf spring shop? Thanks for your thoughts.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I would use some heat and straighten it. Its made of lightweight steel and IIRC its hollow.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The tubing is probably stretched so if you straighten it out the tubing may buckle or collapse and look worse. You could always use that one as a template and fabricate another one

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just made my own out of tubing that is twice as thick as the factory, I used a Harbor Freight tubing bender to get the bends and then crimped the ends in my press. I also made my jounce bars and fender to core support braces the same way.
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Wow. Beautiful work.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

GrayGroceryGetter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2016
I have the upper braces in my GP, but I have not seen those lower braces before. Do they serve a good purpose other than front end flex? And what size tubing did you use for this?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the upper braces in my GP, but I have not seen those lower braces before. Do they serve a good purpose other than front end flex? And what size tubing did you use for this?
It definitely helps with the flex issue and I can tell how much stiffer it is when I put jacks stands behind the front wheels especially with the weight of a big block in front of it.
I used the same OD as factory which I believe ended up being 3/4" rigid pipe from work (electrical) to make the jounce bars and GP bar and 3/4" EMT for the fender to core support braces.

GrayGroceryGetter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 16, 2016
I am guessing the GP bar goes from one jounce bar mount to the other? I will def need to do this since a front end makeover is overdue. Shocks are #1 on the Iist.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You are correct the GP bar triangulates the set up attaching to the upper mounting points of the jounce bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor