Possible Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I have been watching for a new car for a while. The other day I ran across one I liked on craigslist. I am talking with the guy and he is interested in trading for my 83 Cutlass. I am just wondering what some of you guys think and also what all should I look for. Its an 83 Malibu wagon with a 305 and 350 trans. Here are the pictures I have gotten from him.

Here is my car
83cutlass.jpg

And his car
imagejpeg952.jpg

4_imagejpeg952.jpg

10_imagejpeg9521.jpg

3_imagejpeg952.jpg

2_imagejpeg952.jpg

5_imagejpeg952.jpg

8_imagejpeg952.jpg

9_imagejpeg952.jpg

7_imagejpeg952.jpg

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Your Cutlass looks better than the wagon in the photos.
If you like it and you feel that it's a good deal, go for it.
I would take a VERY hard look underneath (frame/floors/suspension/steering linkage) that wagon...I'm guessing it's seen some hard miles.

Drive it and test everything to learn what's working and what needs to be repaired.

In the end, it's your call. Seems to me that your car should be worth more than the wagon...assuming yours also a V8.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
trading a G for a G should be pretty standard, but I agree it kind of looks like you are losing out. The extra gauge clusters on the non performance 305 engine give me images of a red neck beating the sh*t out of the car. Maybe you can swap with him a few days without either one of you signing titles and make sure his car isnt duct taped together before you finalize the sale. If he doesn't go for that and acts funny the car is a POS and he's hiding something - run.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
Yes my car is a v8. It has the 260 out of my 79 Cutlass in it. Its not the fastest but it runs good and the v6 took a dump and I needed a car.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
while your cutlass on its surface looks much better to me, I like the wagon over a cutlass and it also depends on what your goal is with the car, are you gonna finish it, motor swap etc?

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
My plans if i get it is just to drive it. The four doors would be easier to get my kids in and out of. But I just keep thinking no matter what I do its still a station wagon. It would just be a daily driver.

85cut420

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2011
Wake Co, NC
Keep your Cutlass, or at least trade the guy for his wagon and at least a thousand with it, more if the wagon is in worse shape than your Cutty. Don't let the person selling the wagon beat you in the head.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I see a lot of short cuts that I wouldn't want my kids near. Stuff like the exhaust dumping behind the axle, the rubber fuel line w/crappy filter, no AC gets old fast in these wagons as the rear windows don't open. I don't think you could "just drive it" without a good amount of work. That said, wagons are great for families with kids and it looks like a decent interior.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Have to agree. Seems like your on the losing end....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor