Possibly Rear End Problem ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
:)

So I Adjusted my Detent cable and wow what a difference in acceleration and rwp!! It made instead of a chirp from the tires it lays rubber for 150ft :rofl: BUT :cry:
I'm getting a terrible howling / grinding noise from somewhere ( I Do Believe the rear end ) and I Was wondering am i chewing through the rear end or does it just need oiled? I never oiled it i just threw it in four years ago and haven't touched it haha. Its always had a rear axle seal leak into the drum on the passenger side but its been a good rear end its just a stock rear out of what i was told a Monte. My Build is a 455 Milld built in an 80cutlass with a stock th350 car originally had a 3.8 buick in it. Any help would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Considering the fact you said its howling I would say its too late to just add oil. Pull the cover and check it out.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'd put the rear up on jackstands and let the car idle in gear. That way you can identify where exactly the noise is coming from. Could be an axle bearing, maybe the pinion, maybe the gears, could be a lot of things. While it's up there first check the oil level and probably add some, maybe it will quiet down.

80Cutty

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2011
Well its not something that happens all the time only at full power Sometimes

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well at least unscrew the oil level plug and check it, probably it's low. Rear noises usually are all or nothing, meaning not intermittent. It could be a U-joint failing too.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Possibly a sound from low oil, however, ill bet it needs gears.............mine was full of oil and made a howling noise that got louder with RPMs going up, ring and pinion needed replaced. Replaced and all is GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor