Post office has stamps...and now I do too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Got my white ink samples I've been waiting for. FINALLY. They went back to Atlanta, and then made another trip back to my post office and this time they decided to deliver them.

I stamped different inks on black paper and some did well and other sucked. I really like this ink I finally settled on for the actual hose testing. It covers pretty well on black, IMO. And it kinda looks right. It's only experimenatation at this point, but if it works out...

I'm surprised nobody has bothered to do any hose stamps for our cars. Working on the lower hose stampings too. Granted, I made them for late 84 and 85-88 (there's at LEAST 2 different styles, but I've seen a few more out there as well. Just depends on when the hose was made.

The test stamps were made on an old lower hose I had I found in the shop. Why ruin a good, new hose, right?

Here's the early version that's offset. Original first, then my repro stamp. I don't have the exact fonts and could only get them close. This is one of those deals where, if anyone notices they're not exact, they're likely judging the car.
85 V8 Upper Rad Hose Part Number Stamping.JPG

VIN Y-9 Upper Rad Hose Restamp Test 22527800.JPG

And the later version that's aligned better and a different arrow. There's a 3rd type I've seen that has straight alignment with the skinny arrow.

Original 86-88 first, then the repro.
87 442 upper radiator hose stamp.JPG

VIN Y-9 Upper Rad Hose Restamp Test 22527800 87-88.JPG

Perfection? Hardly. But I need to check the durability of the inks. These are pigment inks and supposed to be ok to use on rubber and porous and non-porous surfaces, and once dry (not alcohol based so it takes them a good while to dry) I'm going to see if they're waterproof as they say, or if they would likely hold up under the hood with light soap/water cleaning, etc.

I briefly thought about re-tweaking them to get them more correct, but after looking at them...unless they're next to a genuine GM hose, I doubt if general Joe Public would even notice.

I do not know what they used on the original hoses. I imagine some sort of marking ink, but I don't know what it was. Nobody else seems to know for sure.

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I had a buddy scan my hose, lol he made me a stencil, I use whit paint, just dust it, if it looks crappy, it looks more factory

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I got a few NOS hoses already, I just wanted to be able to make the repro part numbers whenever I needed to out of newer hoses. I can make the stencils, but fugg that, stamping is way easier.

One thing I've noticed about the ACDelco hose, is that the correct "nook" or "cranny" whatever you want to call it isn't there for clearance of the K34 Cruise Control actuator assembly.

On the original hose, there's a little bump step there for clearance. The ACDelco hose, which otherwise is decent, apparently didn't care when it got formed. Still works, but the clearance goes to almost nil at that point. Most people wouldn't notice this more than likely, but now you know and will never be able to get that little tidbit out of your head forever.

I'm wondering if anyone would give a flip about 83 H/O upper hose stamp, the 22520397 one. I've got a prototype print of that one but not sure of the demand. I have an early 84 OEM upper hose in my closet somewhere. I need to yank that out and see what part number that is. IIRC, it's 22506594, as that hose is the precursor to the 800. But that's going off my memory, so there's no guarantees there. And the bottom hose I've got a template made for it already. Including the goodyear foot.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Got my valve cover stamps in, too. Made a quick ink stamp on the test hose to check it out with white ink. Looks pretty good. Smudging it will work, just like the factory did it.

Figure I'd just do some flat white acrylic enamel...boom. Done.

Original stamping
1985 442 Timing OK stamp STAND K.jpg

Repro stamping. I could have done better but it wasn't a flat surface. But I like where this is going.
Timing Stand K print test.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
What I found with the F body hose, it’s a generic stamp, the hoses you get at the Dealership.
a few years ago, a guy that worked at Gates Rubber stopped by my space up at Dream Cruise, he said every Rubber company has their own code, NA, AU so on, others say no, but the guy was a Rubber guy
hers my stencil, and the hoses Jeff makes
my stencil has been all over the country. It’s a loaner, lol.
I need the tower clams then I’m putting these on.
i e been told the 2 letter codes are on your build sheet, I’ve never looked.
the reason I made the stencil, you have to cut off like 6”” of hose, then you loose the marks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, the codes are on the build sheet. WH and VE for 85-88 on the build sheet. Figure the VE for the 83/4 lower as well? I don't know. That's not an issue.

AU must be Goodyear as goodyear made the lower hoses for sure, and AU is on them.

There are several variations of hose markings on 80s Oldsmobiles, so I'm just going to go with whatever one I happen to roll across that's applicable for the year I need.

I think I just bought the very last NOS VE lower hose on the planet today as well. I stumbled across it on a website that sold NOS stuff. It was listed under Chevrolet stuff and under the part number on the hose and not the catalog part number. :) Good for me I guess. The neat thing is it has all the markings of the original hose from my 85. SO....that should be taken care of now.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor