Post Your Worst A/G Body Rot stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
gto78 said:
I had a girlfriend riding in the front passenger seat (highschool days) during a rain storm. I hit a patch of water and the floor mat on her side actually flipped up a few inches off the floor and sprayed her in the face and legs with nasty water from the street. I was trying not to laugh and act sorry for a minute....She was PISSED

sounds like my wife and my old 78 fireturd.... bought the thing in jersey, when I got out of the military, for $350. huge hole in the pass front floorboard... driving the wife to work one night during a heavy rainstorm, and she was wearing her nursing home white uniform, when I hit a HUGE puddle! I, unfortunately, didn't have a floormat to shield the incoming water, and it looked like old faithful on her side of the car :rofl: you want to talk about a woman being pissed??? :lol:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The bumper fell off the rear of my first Regal I ever owned. It was an '87 Regal and the tires would rub the wheel wells when I would hit a bump. I lived on a dirt road, so I was just driving home one day and all of a sudden something is dragging. We pulled the other side off by having a pull-off between my Regal and my buddies old F-150 2wd straight-6 (wouldn't recommend doing this)

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
not a G but i've got quite a few 30's GM cars that would make you run for cover if someone mentioned body work...

Somethings about the good ol' days just weren't that good... Wood body framing being one of them... Ford and Mopar were smart they used it to tack upholstery to... GM used it to tack car bodies and upholstery to..

There is a farm we go to in western NE and the old guy who owns the place pointed to what he said was a '27 Chevy.. it was a chrome grille shell and radiator, a partial cowl, door tops, and what I could only guess was the rear section... The frame and engine where there too... just 3/4 of the sheet metal and all of the wood had returned to mother earth...

Oh my dad had a Plymouth trail duster that he rivited the floor mats too... mainly because there wasn't a floor where the floor mats went... And on his last truck ('91 F250 4x4) the rust had started moving inside... I touched one of the vent window latches and it literally fell apart...

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
Dusting this one off.... 8)

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
Very similar story to one above. Driving along with my wife in the GP. All of a sudden heard a hell of a racket from the rear of the car. My wife is panicing, and all I could do was laugh. I knew the bumper was starting to sag. Well, it sagged completely off on the passenger side and was dragging along behind us. I found some electrical wire in the trunk, no, not part of the cars wiring, LOL, pulled the bumper up and wired it on so I could get the car home.

Its the same GP in my avatar. Its currently sitting on jack stands with the gas tank and muffler removed. Rear bumper is in the garage. Frame rails were swept up and thrown away. Yeah, literally swept up. :D Not much left of drivers side, even less of passenger side. I'm fabbing up new 2x3 square tube rails. Rest of frame is pretty solid. Trunk floor is excellent shape, the body mount locations welded to the trunk floor are non existant tho. I've fabbed up the rearmost drivers side mount to weld to the trunk floor. It looks pretty close to stock, as there was some of the old left to copy. The mount right behind the wheel was just two strips of rusty metal loosely attached to the trunk floor. I'll be making a new mount there and unless I get real lucky, it will look nothing like the original, since I have nothing to copy but those two strips. Haven't looked at passenger side yet. The top section of the frame rail is still there blocking the view. Thats all thats left of the frame tho. That and a piece of tubing I bolted to the truck floor temporarily to bolt the bumper to so I could still use the car if need be. Those days are gone now, so its rebuild it the right way time. Some rust in the lower quarter, easily patched with welded in sheet metal. Floors are pretty solid with just a couple pin holes in front of the passenger seat. All solid up front.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
My X brother in law had an 83 Bonnie four door in Oak Park Mi. It was his winter beater. He drove It to work the last day of its life and could not get any of the doors open. He crawled out the window and called a mechanic who brought a wrecker. It bent in the middle when they put it on the hook and by the time it was at the shop the driveshaft was against the hump. It went straight to the scrap yard.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
My very first Buick Regal that I paid $200 for ... driving down my dirt road one day and my rear bumper fell off one side of the car :lol:

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Found a monte ss aero coupe locally and was excited to see it. The price was fair and also OBO. Saw the new owner who took it on a trade for work (tire shop). Had a story about it sitting for many years in the yard. The paint looked damn good. He said all the brake lines were replaced and passed inspection. I looked it over and was impressed by the condition. Suddenly, he dropped his price in half and wanted it gone today. I smelled something fishy.......... Got my flashlight to look at the frame and these new brake lines, all rot, frame nearly gone, floors all rotted to the bone. He even offered to flat bed it to my house for free.
I have never seen a car look so clean on top and clean interior and have that much cancer underneath. After I questioned him some more, he confessed it was dragged from the yard because it sunk in the mud and was buried to the frame. That explains it. Although the back window was worth $80-$1000, I passed on the deal. As soon as it was off loaded at my house, it probably would have literally crumbled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A old carb turbo T-type at a junkyard. Roles in the roof, and the rear floor and trunk are gone. They even shimmed the header pannel with washers in the core support mounts to adjust for frame sag. Shame too being a rarer G body.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
My current '83 Cutlass came from Florida, so I assumed that it would be a pretty solid car. Boy was I wrong. The bottoms of both doors were rotted out and so was most of the roof under the 1/4 vinyl top. The 1st body shop I took it to tried to patch it with fiberglass. That lasted for about a year. After that I took it another body shop, had all of the fiberglass removed, and got fixed properly w/new sheetmetal patches.

26890260024_large.jpg

26890260026_large.jpg

26890260029_large.jpg

26890260030_large.jpg

26890260031_large.jpg

26890260032_large.jpg

26890260033_large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor