powder coating rims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Thinking about powder coating the rims from my 1980 olds 442 . Has anyone done this and how was the results I can get it done for about 150 a rim thanks and Happy New Year to all Jeff from Winnipeg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I just picked up some old GM rims I had stripped and recoated by a wheel refinisher. They did decent job, but there were a few pits in the aluminum that when the powder was baked, they bubbled up. I plan to trim them with a sharp razor and buff them down. Just so you know what to expect.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
thanks these are fairly rare rims but are in good shape want to fix them up now while they are in good shape and besides it is -20 and we have a foot of snow so with the car in storage it is a good time to do it have a nice New years Jeff from the peg

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Usually $150 to have the first don't and $5-20 each additional part(depending on size) done at the same time

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can get them done for $80 a rim but that is a one color. My friend who owns a shop which sells wheels has gotten a few sets done and they look great.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would imagine a two tone rim is twice the work so I can see the added expense.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
thanks I was really worried about devaluing the rims they are hard to come by and dont want to screw them up . It is funny but the shop that does the work will charge me 200 a rim to polish them and 150 for powder coating so not sure if I should leave them original and polish them or get them powder coated thanks guys and Happy and Healthy New Years all the best to all the members JB

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor