Power brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
i have a thumper series cam inmy sbc and my vacuum is crazy low. Compcams says that an electronic vacuum pump will probably be needed. I have an air canister but no vacuum pump and my vacuum at idle is less than 7". I know I need a vacuum pump

My front brakes cannot hold past 2200 Rpms without giving. I have a custom built converter for my car that is a 3000 rpm stall. My car hooks great with the mickey Thompson et street R's but I'm looking for a little bit harder of a launch.

A brake booster needs 18" of vacuum to function properly. Do you think if I add an electronic vacuum pump that I will be able to hold my brakes better and powerbrake to a higher rpm which would increase my launch speed?

I have drilled and slotted rotors with the blazer brake upgrade upfront. But my Malibu does have the small 7/8ths brake booster.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you don't want to go with manual brakes you can always look for an Astro/Safari van with hydro-boost brake cylinder

96-02-chevy-astrovan-gmc-safari-hydro-boost-power-brake-booster-4.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
With 7" of vacuum, you don't have any brakes. Put the vacuum pump on it and you will be amazed at the difference.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
An electric vacuum booster will work fine for your application, just plumb to your vacuum canister first and from there to your brake booster, this will give you some added reserve to help you stop.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I thought we crossed this bridge awhile back in regards to your car and low vacuum? I, as well as others suggested then the electric pump makes a world of difference! I have the summit branded (CVR) on my Cutlass. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the investment!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
An electric vacuum booster will work fine for your application, just plumb to your vacuum canister first and from there to your brake booster, this will give you some added reserve to help you stop.
Do most people run a canister along with a vacuum pump? I've seen it both ways.

I also want to upgrade my brake booster tocthe largest one that GM made and swap to rear disc from the camaro swap. I just want more launch I can hook up no problem with the tires cold at 20psi

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I thought we crossed this bridge awhile back in regards to your car and low vacuum? I, as well as others suggested then the electric pump makes a world of difference! I have the summit branded (CVR) on my Cutlass. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the investment!!!!
Yeah we did but my main question was concerning if I would be able to power brake more to bring the stall up. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet been busy with a few other projects and in the process of selling a car I've had in storage for 3 years.
I know if I can have a little more fun in it it will make me jump on it. I want to take it to the track and see what she does before the season is over

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do most people run a canister along with a vacuum pump? I've seen it both ways.
Most people that have a vacuum canister bought that first in an attempt to help them stop, having the canister will always have the added benefit of having extra reserve. They are not expensive so they are a worthwhile investment.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor