Power Door Lock Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
I have a 86 cutlass with power windows and manual locks I'm interested in installing original actuators would anyone have a detailed picture how they would be installed originally from the factory in each side. also picture of the rods needed. thanks in advance

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well I have no pictures of the actuators, however I do have a crude wiring diagram to make simple bosch relays work, as the factory door lock relay is getting pretty hard to come by. In case you need it....

Attachments

• 20190524_091442.jpg
    20190524_091442.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
the wiring for me is very simple i have that under control its the other stuff im having a hard time with locating

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Understand there are two types of linkage used. One is a simple rod that goes into the actuator's hole & the top shares the same connection as the door key lock rod in the hand operated part. The other used a rod assembely that rivits to the door itself with all the rods for the actuator being being connect on a bell crank. I'll have to get into the garage for all the parts for my conversion.

Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
yes I figured it would be a bit more involved that's why i asked for pictures I'm not even sure if i have the same parts internal because my car never came with power locks

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's some quick pics of the linkage. Left rod (earlier design) will be the easier for the conversion. Right rod assembly (later design) needs to be rivited to the door & is a pain removing it from the actuator.
DSCN4147.JPG

Also there is a difference between the ealier (left) & later (right) actuator heads. Both styles of rods work with both actuators.
DSCN4148.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
awesome that's perfect TY what about location on the doors where the actuator is mounted I know they have a bracket on each actuator that is riveted onto the door do the actuator have a left and right side ? I must of worked on this a hundred times over the years growing up with gbody's and I just don't recall. its also so strange to have power windows and have manual locks.

Reactions: 1 user

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
awesome that's perfect TY what about location on the doors where the actuator is mounted I know they have a bracket on each actuator that is riveted onto the door do the actuator have a left and right side ? I must of worked on this a hundred times over the years growing up with gbody's and I just don't recall. its also so strange to have power windows and have manual locks.
nycutlass were you able to retro in and install the power locks? I too have a cutlass with power windows but no power locks. when I set out to replace the window hardware I discovered that both doors have the actuators but no wiring so I decided I would go ahead and get power locks installed so I can use keyless entry in the future. Just curious if you did the wiring per factory specs or did something else.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
nycutlass were you able to retro in and install the power locks? I too have a cutlass with power windows but no power locks. when I set out to replace the window hardware I discovered that both doors have the actuators but no wiring so I decided I would go ahead and get power locks installed so I can use keyless entry in the future. Just curious if you did the wiring per factory specs or did something else.
i tried for a while to locate factory wiring harness either it was impossible to located or hacked up or the price was outrageous so i wired it myself. i wanted the factory look so its was very simple 2 ( I recommend 12guage wire) wires to each actuators and one feed wire (12V) in each door i wired them into relays just buy new sockets from rock auto . using this method you can also do both doors on one switch if you like in the center if you wanted a custom look of some kind.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor