Power locks and seat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
I have a 78 Grand Prix SJ. It has power driver seat, power windows, power door locks. The windows work fine for a 43 year old car, but the seat and the door locks don't (honestly the passenger door unlocks, the drivers doesn't). I leave the battery disconnected currently, since the car isn't insured and I don't want it burning itself, my daily or my neighbors camper to the ground because of something I over looked electrically, so I haven't poked at the fuse panel much.

My motto with the car is "every time you work on it, get something done" so that I feel like I am making progress and not laying on the driveway, in the dark, stripping off seized brake line fittings. So I decided to try and diagnose the lock/seat issue. One of the previous owners installed some massively powerful sound system into the car, which was removed for the most part before I got it. While looking for wiring diagrams, I found out that the 30a, 12v circuit breaker plugged into the Power Acc slot controls both locks and the seat. I pulled the breaker, which had corrosion and was rusting along with both contacts which had that blue-green copper corrosion, so I cleaned out the spot on the fuse panel best I could. I started searching for a "replacement" circuit breaker and managed to find something approximating what I needed at the local parts store.

The new breaker is the same size, with those universal tabs you can shorten and 30 amp, however I did not notice it is a 14v, while stock is 12v. I plugged it in to give it a whirl, turned the car to run and got nothing from the locks or the seat. At this time the headlight indicator went off. So I started the car thinking the battery may just be a bit weak from sitting and not being used much, the car fired and still nothing from the door locks or the seat. Am I missing something? I really would like power locks and the power seat, but I am still working on other items before I get down the electrical rabbit hole and I am hoping I overlooked something simple.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Get out a volt meter, I would 1st check for continuity on the new circuit breaker. Possible that it is defective. Plug the old one in and see if you have power at the locks/seat. How corroded was the fuse panel?

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
Get out a volt meter, I would 1st check for continuity on the new circuit breaker. Possible that it is defective. Plug the old one in and see if you have power at the locks/seat. How corroded was the fuse panel?

The copper contacts where dull with a bit of that blue green corrosion on them. Hard to see in between the contacts. I will grab the meter and test the panel, then the breaker and hopefully the seat controls, although no idea which to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor