Power seat motor/transmission upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
I was trying to replace the disintegrated coupling between the motor and transmission of the driver's seat of my 84 H/O Cutlass this evening when the plastic on the transmission started falling apart. I've heard that later GM power seat rails with 3 motors can be used. What models and years are suitable for the swap?

ognil67

n00b
Aug 24, 2015
Chattanooga, Tn.
Had the same problem Was driving and adjusted the seat at the same time and heard this crunch. When I finally pulled over and looked under the seat, it looked like a small bomb had went off. My kankles where fine by the way. Transmission was toast. I went on ebay and found one. I searched for almost six months and that was the only place that I found it. A little expensive, $400 and some chang but you get $140 after you send the broken one ba

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Some late 1987 and 1988 Cutlass' with the power seat option had the (3) motor style seat track with no transmission. If you find one in the salvage yard buy it! Although the old transmission style seat track works fine and you can still find these under B and G bodies for next to nothing. As you noted, the nylon housings get brittle over time. With some work you can upgrade your old seat tracks to the newer style. I pulled the (3) motors with mount bracket from a mid 90's Buick Century A body. Get the wiring harness for it also because it's different. If memory serves me you need to modify the mount bracket and rivet it to the seat track in a new location the lines up with the drive (It's been 10 years). I also remember pulling drive cables from multiple vehicles to make it work.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
A few years ago, I modified my '84 Monte to use the single motor track from an early '80s Buick Regal. The Regal had a power track from a split bench seat car, and the seat mounting holes are wider apart that a power seat track from a car with the factory power bucket seats. I made some adapter brackets which allowed me to mount my bucket seat to the split bench seat track, and I used it for several years that way. Then I found a factory 3 motor bucket seat track from an '86 Buick GN, and swapped it into the car. If you're looking for the factory G body 3 motor power bucket seat track, then you need to try to find one from an '86-'88 Buick Regal/GN or Olds Cutlass with the power bucket seat option. Try to make sure that the seat track is in good condition, and that the feet of the track (the parts that bolt to the mounts on the floor) aren't heavily rusted. If possible, try to get the vehicle side of the seat harness, including the connector. As Anubis has pointed out, some early to mid '90s GM cars used a 3 motor track which is similar. The seat track mounting points will be different, but the guts and harness should be the same. I had a power seat track here from a '91 Olds Calais (N body), that was a 3 motor track, and I was able to use some parts from it for some repairs to the G body track that I have. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor