Power steering belt for olds 77 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Belts keeps squealing. I replaced it and the belt the part store gave me doesn't fit. They gave me a few belts and those didn't fit either( did remove the ac setup).....but the alternator belt will fit. So now I have an alternator belt on the PS pulleys. Lasted a few months and now it squeals again. I had to use a ratchet strap on the PS resevoir to tighten the belt since there was pry bar dents all over it.....is there something better I can use that has more "grip"? It's a V style belt. No ridges, lines, grooves on it....

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
with the AC removed........and the alternator & power steering both on the drivers side of engine . maybe move the alternator to the passenger side.
i have seen brackets for this move somewhere on the web.
thinking to balance out the tension.
someone smarter than me ,will hopefully fill in the blanks

Reactions: 1 user

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
with the AC removed........and the alternator & power steering both on the drivers side of engine . maybe move the alternator to the passenger side.
i have seen brackets for this move somewhere on the web.
thinking to balance out the tension.
someone smarter than me ,will hopefully fill in the blanks
That sounds like it might work..didnt think about that

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use Gates and Continental belts (formerly Goodyear) the Continental have diagonal grooves which might aid in grip.
Also I usually measure the length belt I need before buying, you want your belt to end up being somewhere in the middle of your adjustment range.
Where you have room to loosen it to get it off and can tighten it without running out of adjustment.
I have also sandblasted the inside of a v-belt pulley where the belt rides to give the belt more grip on the pulley.

Attachments

• 20180909_124020-1.jpg
    20180909_124020-1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 370

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
The pulleys are pretty clean. Maybe I will try a different brand belt before doing anything crazy. just seen a post that someone did a passenger side alt on a 307 and got rid of the squeal! Might have to look into that if a new belt doesn't work....but as far as belt sizes....without my a.c., the only belt that fits is an alt belt......no in between sizes.....

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
he only belt that fits is an alt belt......no in between sizes.....
Belts come in lengths which usually average around .5 increments, there is a belt that will fit correctly it just might not be at your local autoparts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor