Power Steering Brackets Olds V8

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
In a different time, I upgraded my 1980 Steering box to 1987 to be rid of the vague feel. Without warning, I installed it, and no the hoses from a 1968 Olds 350 did not work. Another without warning was that the power steering pump though looks alike is not. Bought the new pump. Without warning, the pump does not come complete so I ordered the pulley. Without warning, the pulley cannot be installed without the bracket. The final step is the 1968 V8 Bracket does not work on a 1987 pump! So I am search of a solution. Simplest would be to find a bracket from someone willing to part with one. EBAYs search engine is so bad...dozens of pages of NON GBODY brackets even though I search 1984-87 Olds Cutlass Supreme V8.

So the big questions are; 1/ is there anyone that will sell me a bracket? 2/ Are there any other surprises for this "simple steering box swap?"

I have the correct 87 hose with the o rings at each end. I have thought about getting a hose which connects the 68 pump to the 87 Steering box. The question there is; is the 68 pump up to the task of the 87 steering gear? It is obvious the tank size is smaller.

The bracket would be the best solution, then pump. box, and hoses would all be a match. The sooner the better as my shoulders are starting to return to muscular driving without power assist! If you want more for the bracket than I have already paid for the pump, pulley, and hose, You can keep it. This is the final step to my long ridiculously difficult simple engine swap 350 for 231 V6. BTW...don't ever try this at home without adequate supervision. Can't stay where it is, cannot go back and forward is the difference between UP AND DOWN!

Chuck

It hurt my brain to try and figure out what you have, where you're at, and what parts you have available.

Question: Do you still have a 68 pump AND the 87 pump? Or access to the later pump with the O-ring fitting on the back?

Reason I ask is all you have to do is swap the fitting off the 87 pump and put it in the 68 pump. Leave the rest of the guts inside alone, just swap the fitting (and sealing O-ring wouldn't hurt, but if the old one is still good, send it). They used the same style size steering gears pretty much throughout, so the thing should work. The Saginaw pumps have pretty much been the same size fitting for the hoses, just match to the hose you need to use and keep the 68 style pump. If the original pump worked for the '68 box, it'll work for the '87 box.

This should preclude you from having to buy a bracket setup for the 307 pump.

If you don't have the 87 pump and need just the O-ring style fitting, try this for around 20 bucks:

It hurt my brain to try and figure out what you have, where you're at, and what parts you have available.

Question: Do you still have a 68 pump AND the 87 pump? Or access to the later pump with the O-ring fitting on the back?

Reason I ask is all you have to do is swap the fitting off the 87 pump and put it in the 68 pump. Leave the rest of the guts inside alone, just swap the fitting (and sealing O-ring wouldn't hurt, but if the old one is still good, send it). They used the same style size steering gears pretty much throughout, so the thing should work. The Saginaw pumps have pretty much been the same size fitting for the hoses, just match to the hose you need to use and keep the 68 style pump. If the original pump worked for the '68 box, it'll work for the '87 box.

This should preclude you from having to buy a bracket setup for the 307 pump.

If you don't have the 87 pump and need just the O-ring style fitting, try this for around 20 bucks:

I just wrote down what my brain was doing, and it hurt here too. I have a functioning 68 pump, and the hose for a 87 Pump, also the entire pump for an 87 which will go ion EBay after we solve the mismatch. I see you have cited an adapter which is what I needed to know. I need to adapt the 68 Pump to the 87 pressure hose connection on the pump. The other end fits correctly into the steering box. I working correctly. have the low pressure hose So what you shows adapts the 68 hose to the steering box? Adapting either end it fine by me, Thanks for the info and help. Take the rest of the day off on me!

Chuck

You can also get some flare inserts instead of the big azz fittings. Your call.

This is just ONE place you can get them. They're everywhere I think. I never had the need for these adapters, but I know they exist. Oh, and anyone swapping a newer steering box into a 78 or 79 car, you will likely need to use the rag joint made for the newer steering box. 1980 and up have the smaller rag joint already.

Flared adapters. This style is inserted into the holes in the steering box. Gets rid of the huge adapters to give it more of a factory look.
1727317192777.png

This ain't my junk, just some pics for examples. O-ring style hoses removed, waiting for adapters.
1727317220804.png

Adapters in place, ready for the flared hose.
1727317244970.png

Original flared lines in place on the "newer" style box with the adapters installed.
1727317276214.png

You can also get some flare inserts instead of the big azz fittings. Your call.

This is just ONE place you can get them. They're everywhere I think. I never had the need for these adapters, but I know they exist. Oh, and anyone swapping a newer steering box into a 78 or 79 car, you will likely need to use the rag joint made for the newer steering box. 1980 and up have the smaller rag joint already.

Flared adapters. This style is inserted into the holes in the steering box. Gets rid of the huge adapters to give it more of a factory look.
View attachment 246398

This ain't my junk, just some pics for examples. O-ring style hoses removed, waiting for adapters.
View attachment 246399

Adapters in place, ready for the flared hose.
View attachment 246400

Original flared lines in place on the "newer" style box with the adapters installed.
View attachment 246401
I found them at the local hot rod store for $20. Good choice...Much easier and looks better too! Thanks!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor