Power Steering Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So the Chevy Caprice has been leaking power steering fluid since the weather got warmer.

After figuring out it’s not coming from the hoses or the pump, I added stop leak and topped off the fluid. It’s definitely not as worse, but I’d still not like to go through half a bottle of power steering elixir for the month lmfao.

Will the whole rack and pinion need to be 100 percent replaced, or is this something maybe some welds can get me by for spring until I can save up?

I’m currently in isolation as we speak, and off work now for a bit since Ma tested positive for COVID, so kinda would like to save money if possible.

Attachments

• CA473C35-BE2A-468C-BE51-BF504BB11075.jpeg
    CA473C35-BE2A-468C-BE51-BF504BB11075.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 89

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It'll be the pump, hoses, or steering box as it doesn't have rack & pinion steering. Possible the pitman arm shaft seal on the botton side could be bad.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It'll be the pump, hoses, or steering box as it doesn't have rack & pinion steering. Possible the pitman arm shaft seal on the botton side could be bad.
Ah ok, glad at least to know it won’t require too much work hopefully. I was worried the whole shaft would need to be taken out for now.

So i guess then it’s the pitman arm seal.

I hope it’s not too big of a job, never had to do anything power steering related before except add fluid lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor