Power steering pressure line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsboo

n00b
Aug 10, 2020
Hello everyone...ive been creeping on this forum for years 🙂😘...needed some help and decided id join and see if someone can help me out...i have a 79 e camino that has the MC quick ratio steering box...well i put in a motor from a older car that has the saginaw power steering pump...i cant find the right pressure hose...i used my old one and bent it and made it fit but it had crimped...well now its time for a new line and im looking for the correct one...seems like i have hardly any to no room between the block and pump...almost like it need to be a direct 90 degree turn down almost...any recommendations on what line? Anyone else have this issue? What line did you use?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First, does the pump have the inch thread flare ('79 & older) & the steering box have the metric thread O-ring fitting? The other is what year is the pump from if it'sa older pump (from a pre '78 non A/G car)? With out knowing this it's hard to suggest a off the shelf hose. One fix would be just get AN hose with the correct fittings to make it all work together.

Rigsboo

n00b
Aug 10, 2020
Im at work right now but i can let you know when i get home...BUT the pump takes a 5/8 wrench...and the steering box has the same threads as the original box from the 79 if that helps

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive got a close ratio box in both of my cars. One box and pump is flare, the other O ring. I ordered them that way. On the one thats flared I had two custom hoses made.
I used 3 90 degree fittings. You can see how it turned out in the photos. I was lucky to have a pump with the return line facing down.
I will be posting a thread after this comment because I have some questions about the O ring setup on the other box. These lines were easy. The new ones I need might not be.

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

James84SS

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2018
Detroit area
Ive got a close ratio box in both of my cars. One box and pump is flare, the other O ring. I ordered them that way. On the one thats flared I had two custom hoses made.
I used 3 90 degree fittings. You can see how it turned out in the photos. I was lucky to have a pump with the return line facing down.
I will be posting a thread after this comment because I have some questions about the O ring setup on the other box. These lines were easy. The new ones I need might not be.

View attachment 155475

View attachment 155476

Who did you have make those custom lines for you?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
About the pressure side port in the steering box, does it have a shoulder down inside it that looks like it would accept a flared style fitting or is it just a straight passage like would be found if it was meant to accept an O-ring on a shouldered tube? At the motor, the amount of clearance for the pressure hose leaving the pump is tight and the factory hose as it exists almost makes an immediately 90 degree bend to drop and clear the pump body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor