CUTLASS Power Steering Pump Bracket Spacer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyHurstGuy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe someone can help me with this because I'm stumped. When i got my 83 Hurst the former owner had apparently lost or poorly adjusted the mechanicals for the power steering pump and put several washers between the bracket and the block, presumably to line up the pulley. I figured there was a spacer in there they lost so they tried to fix it with washers. Anyway, that belt squeaks all the time and drives me nuts so I'm trying to figure out if a) there is indeed a spacer that goes in between the bracket and the block and b) if so, how can I get another one online? Local boneyards have been bare of 307's so I'm looking online unsuccessfully. Or, if someone can give me the proper dimensions of a spacer on their engine I can fabricate one myself.

Thank you!

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
Don't have one off the car to measure, but thinking around .400 or so. Hopefully someone will come on with exact measurement.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From MDchanic over at Classicolds forum:

Large spacer, goes between block and rear-projecting "wing" of pump bracket, at hole that is the frontmost of three that could hold a motor mount:

0.402" height
0.467" ID
0.816" OD

Small Spacer, goes between timing indicator and lower front hole of pump bracket, at stud that goes through the top hole of the timing indicator:

0.631" height
0.400" ID
0.563" OD

And also, there's this...it's really weird as the G-body parts book shows these as not serviceable, but obviously they had a part number assigned.

Power Steering Spacer Drawing.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a spacer for the large one....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=264555428256

And for the small one...

If you're handy with machining, you know what to do. The GM spacers were steel, or some crap. All the ones I ever had left over from tearing apart engines all rusted in the boxes of nuts and bolts. But I'm sure aluminum would work just as well.

There is a key thing about the adjustable slot washer that goes BEHIND the bracket and on the front of the pump. Washer p/n 555698, but then changed to 3899696, is to be used. It is 0.30" thick. Some people forget this and it will bend your bracket if you don't use it. Don't forget that little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor