Power Steering Pump Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
Hello everyone, I currently have a 1986 El Camino with a built 350. I have recently been running into the problem of my power steering pump exploding. Whenever I get on the throttle for a bit then let off my pump proceeds to back flow most of the fluid out of the top all over my engine/windshield. I just replaced the pump and hoses because i thought they could be the reason but it keeps happening. Is there anything else that could cause this?

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
Yes, I jacked up the front end and turned it from lock to lock a couple dozen times then let it sit overnight. Next morning I started it and turned lock to lock a dozen more times then took it for a drive. It only happens after I let off the throttle at any sort of speed 60+.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the only thing I can think of is there is a restriction in the high pressure hose and under pressure when you have the engine revving it will pass the restriction but when you back off the gas the flow on the high pressure side is plugged or seriously limited and the resvoir fills up from the low pressure return line.

Reactions: 1 user

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
Do you think it could be something in the steering box? The only part that isn't new. If so is there any way to clean it out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have never heard of a problem like yours and I had to put on my aluminum hat to take a stab at what could be wrong. You have 2 pumps do the same thing and if the pump and lines are new then it has to be the common denominator, ero the box. I would be replacing the box cause it is probably the orifginal and you can upgrade it with a quicker box.

McCoysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2020
Yes definitely the original box, is there any upgrade you would recommend? I have heard of using the box out of a 90's Jeep Cherokee.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you want to replace an old box with an old box? Depending on your budget I'd be looking at a reman Monte SS box or you can go for an aftermarket box from Borgeson or another brand

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor