Power steering pump pully assy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuccillo111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2015
84 cutlass Calais, removed pully with kit from advanced auto but the kit doesn't contain a bolt that fits the threads that are recessed in the pump shaft. It says metric on the cast of the pump but a random 5/16 fine bolt will thread in there no problem. The kit seems to be sae but no 5/16 bolt for this pump. Anyone got a solution?

fuccillo111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2015
Nothing huh? This is the only thing keeping this car off the road at this point. Might take it to a gm dealer to see if they can press it on.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
If the 5/16th fine bolt works I would go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt in what ever length and press it on.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You should be able to find an installer with the right thread. The pumps on these cars are very common. If not the get a high tensile strength bolt of the correct thread, some washers and a nut and see if you can get that to work.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fuccillo111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2015
Thanks guys. Texas really like the gp you have there. I had a 83 LJ as my first car. V6 and the ol man removed the kickdown cable so I didn't do anything stupid, it was a dog but look sharp. Dark dark forest green almost looked black. That car is what got me to get into the cutlass I'm doing now.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I forgot to mention that I got the tool in the link above as a loan-a-tool from either Autozone or O'Reilly but it's been many years.

fuccillo111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2015
Yeah I've tried everything. Took it to a shop during lunch and he couldn't get anything to tread into it. 5/16 is loose 3/8 tight, metric is the same. Can't even fint a tap to go into it, that's out of about 12 various sizes and pitches.

fuccillo111

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2015
That was brought up. How would one hold the smooth shaft while tapping though. A 8.1 tap threaded in but a 8.1 bolt dropped right to the bottom missing all the threads. This is getting to me. Can I drive without the belt on the pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor