MONTE CARLO Power Steering Pump Question - 1979 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Hello,
Many years ago, my car started out as a 231 (3.8L) V6. It is currently a 383 Stroker. The INITIAL V8 swap was way back in 1992 so I don't remember all the details. What I mean is that I don't remember if we kept the original power steering pump and bracket or if we grabbed one from the original V8 donor car.

Fast forward to 2016. I bought a "1963-87 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK POWER STEERING BRACKET SET (LWP) - POLISHED" from CFR Performance. (http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_SMALL_BLOCK_POWER_STEERING_BRACKET_SET_LWP_p/hz-4302-pol.htm)

The bracket spacing was too wide for the pump. I ended up putting the old brackets back on it and reinstalling it. I now have the engine out for an unrelated event and thought I'd try the bracket again. My plan is to by a new pump and lines from Rockauto, for a 1979 Monte Carlo with a V8, and hope that solves the problem.

Did the V6 use a different bracket/pump that would have caused my problem? The car was originally a A/C car and might very well be again with a Vintage Air setup.

I've attached a couple pictures of the current pump.

This picture shows how the "factory" bracket narrows. This is what makes me wonder if this isn't why my aftermarket bracket would not work:

Another question. The pumps that I'm looking at on Rockauto mention "1 or 2 mounting holes in Reservoir" or "w/ Two RAISED mounts" Looking at this picture, is my current one a "1 mounting hole in Reservoir?" Also, is that the same as saying "w/ One RAISED mount?"

Finally, the pressure side hose. There seems to be one for a car with A/C and one for a car without. Seems like the only difference is that the A/C one is 35-3/4 Inch long and without A/C is 37-1/2 Inch. Is that true, or are there other differences. I've read here about a sensor mount on the ones WITH A/C, but mine must be too old for that?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Please ask any followup questions you have.

Thanks!
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor