Power Steering Pump ( Rear Bolt ) Confused!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Hey all, So im changing my power steering pump..i went to 3-4 autozone, o'reillys, Napa, and some local part store that have parts for older cars...

My question is .....there's a bolt/thread in the back of the power steering pump thats located to the right rear of the power steering pump. i believe it help me tighten up the pump so that i can get a good tight belt.. that bolt/thread can be removed, becuase with the elko i had i did remove the bolt/thread, but i think i think i think i dont remember if i put it where the other bolt is located to the top left side of the rear power pump...

I guess they are not making them with the thread n e more, is this something new? here are some pics.

pic #1 shows the thread im talking about

pic #2 shows the other bolt i can take the bolt/thread off and put there..I think if i can remember.

pic #3 shows what they look like new from the auto parts stores..

please let me know if this will make a difference or not with tighten up the power steering pump so that i can make my belt tight, or no need for that bolt/thread...

Thanks guys..

Attachments

• PUMP1.jpg
    PUMP1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,966
  • oldpump1.JPG
    oldpump1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 8,762
  • oldpump.JPG
    oldpump.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 6,629

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I know on my chevy I have a stud sticking out the back of my pwr steering pump. There is a bracket that goes from a hole in the block by the timing cover and wraps up to A/C compressor bracket assembly. There is a channel in the bracket for another adjustment of pwr steering pump. I found this pic of it...not on my engine though. Right behind the hook for the red tow strap in the picture is the bracket. If I am not mistaken it shares the top bolt hole with the long bolt that goes into the 1st header bolt hole.
DSC_0068.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
84cutspreme said:
I know on my chevy I have a stud sticking out the back of my pwr steering pump. There is a bracket that goes from a hole in the block by the timing cover and wraps up to A/C compressor bracket assembly. There is a channel in the bracket for another adjustment of pwr steering pump. I found this pic of it...not on my engine though. Right behind the hook for the red tow strap in the picture is the bracket. If I am not mistaken it shares the top bolt hole with the long bolt that goes into the 1st header bolt hole.
DSC_0068.jpg

i see what bracket your saying, but i think the set-up in your pic is when the alternator is on the right side original style...mine is on the left, when i had my elko it did have the bracket, becuase i moved the alternator to the left once i rebuilt it...well the engine shop did...but i guess thats why i had that bolt there..here are soem pics where u can see that i dont have the bracket, and to tell u the truth i dont remember taking a bolt off of there...i remember only taking 2 from the block and one from a bracket....

im just wondering if it is needed, if not so i can just purchase the one at the local auto parts..thanks :wink:

24aa65cb.jpg

c2ccbe0a.jpg

0bb3fbed.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
I think ur right Rich, when i started taken off that screw it lossen the belt, and i dont remember sticking my hand down behind the pump to unscrew a bolt...i think its just the two bolt that go into the block, and the one that u were talking about.. I guess im just going to pick it up, im sure it will work, but was just wondering, if not i guess i need to go to Clarks.. Here pics of what it looked like before i took off..

But please chime in if u know e n thing about this...thanks

00c08cf0.jpg

2d68c96e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor