Power Steering pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Does anyone have any insight to power steering pumps.? I have a 229 Chevy V6 and want to go to a big block chevy. I plan on using early Chevelle brackets, but I see the pumps are specific to each engine and what not. Is the pump I have usable or should I just go with a 70 chevelle pump and be done? Thanks.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There are two types of pumps that GM has used for along time - a type 1 or type 2. Type 1 is what came almost every G-body as far as I know and they were used throughout late 60’s upto the early 2000’s depending on the vehicle. The type 2 is a smaller profile that has taken off with the aftermarket - google Sweet Racing power steering pump. But they are not inexpensive and available at every parts store. They work better though imho. But they require custom/aftermarket mounting and a remote reservoir.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Well so far I found that my pump matches the 80 small block Chevy pump. And in 70-74 they use the same pump regardless of sb or bb. So maybe if I get lucky the 80 sb pump will mount up in the 70-74 brackets.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor