Power to steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Does anyone know what wire or wires are hot (12 volt) feeding into the column? I am trying to eliminate all unnecessary wires except for turn signals, horn, lights and ignition obviously. But I stepped into wiring nightmare. 😆
I am using a separate fuse and relay panel for fans and feeds for Terminator X Max and Restomod hvac.
I'm thinking it's located on ignition switch and I took many pictures prior to doing this but as you know it's not a great place under the dash as far as room is concerned so the angles and pictures are still confusing 🤔

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
red= battery 12v constant
pink= ignition/run 12v switched
purple= start 12v
brown= heater accessory 12v
orange= accessory
*all 10-12 gauge wires at the ignition switch

Best bet for retaining necessary circuits for lights and things would be to follow wires from their respective switches

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
red= battery 12v constant
pink= ignition/run 12v switched
purple= start 12v
brown= heater accessory 12v
orange= accessory
*all 10-12 gauge wires at the ignition switch

Best bet for retaining necessary circuits for lights and things would be to follow wires from their respective switches
Thank you sir! Do you happen to know what fuse on original panel feeds the ignition? I'm flying blind without a manual (which I really need to get) and searching for wiring diagrams online adds to the confusion. Sorry about being a pita.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The reds are fed off the infamous fusible links at the starter that seem to give people fits, not fuses. The accessory feeds go directly to the fuse buses in the back of the fuse panel.

Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Thank you sir! Do you happen to know what fuse on original panel feeds the ignition? I'm flying blind without a manual (which I really need to get) and searching for wiring diagrams online adds to the confusion. Sorry about being a pita.
I highly recommend the GM service manual for your year/model vehicle.
I use a Chilton's and Haynes manuals for a lot of things, but the '81 service manual that I found in an El Camino that I was pulling parts from helped me 10x more than the Chilton's and Haynes manuals. A little spendy, but well worth the cost, especially for electrical schematics.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I highly recommend the GM service manual for your year/model vehicle.
I use a Chilton's and Haynes manuals for a lot of things, but the '81 service manual that I found in an El Camino that I was pulling parts from helped me 10x more than the Chilton's and Haynes manuals. A little spendy, but well worth the cost, especially for electrical schematics.
I will definitely look into this
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor