Power window motor question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Do the power window motors in two door G bodies receive ground through th3ir mounting points or is there a negative wire that runs to them? The wiring diagrams I have are not too clear.

emperorbrownsuga

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2012
They have a 5 wire hookup with an alternating ground when you push up or down (believe that is how it works off top of my head). The old style grounded thru the door to the body ground for the negative on the battery.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Grounded through the driver switches. It basically takes the long way around.

2 door power window troubleshoot 1.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

cloudhome

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2020
Glenview Illinois
Do the power window motors in two door G bodies receive ground through th3ir mounting points or is there a negative wire that runs to them? The wiring diagrams I have are not too clear.
The motors are DC directional motors. The 12VDC window motor has 2 wires and both motor wires go to the switches. When you move the switch up, DC is applied in a polarity that causes the window to go up. When you push the switch down, polarity is reversed, so the window goes down. The switch flips polarity to determine up vs. down. Ignore the RH switch shown...look at the master switch. Both wires from the motor go thru the RH switch to the master switch. without the switch being pushed, both wires are connected chassis ground. When you push "Up" one side connects to +12V causing the motor to run in 1 direction. When you push the "Down" button, the other motor lead connects to the +12V causing the motor to run in the opposite direction.

Reactions: 1 user

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
I did the rewiring on mine and all this runs through the driver door.
I put in a set of relays and put the switch on the ground pole of the relay
Put the relays in as a double pole double throw - windows role up and down a lot smoother now.
the relay puts ground to one side and 12v to the other and just toggles the window motor.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor