Power Window Motor Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My passenger window motor is very weak even with the relays added so I figure it's time to upgrade the motors. Even though tc1959 (Paul) has not been seen for months he still managed to help me out on this one... :)

question is has anyone used these reproduction motors. They are alot less money from others I have seen

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Do you have the regulators already to match the older style motors? I'm going to upgrade mine on the elky and the GN eventually but I don't know if it's worth the hassle of changing out the regulators to fit bigger motors. I need to do more research to figure out the best options. I read something about a helper spring that's supposed to make an improvement.

I think the tracks on the elky are a little screwed up they don't go up and down perfectly straight, there's a bit of jerking and wobble going on. Haven't really looked into it seriously but having them go up and down quickly would be damn nice. It's embarrassing how slow they are at like toll booths for example.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Do you have the regulators already to match the older style motors? I'm going to upgrade mine on the elky and the GN eventually but I don't know if it's worth the hassle of changing out the regulators to fit bigger motors. I need to do more research to figure out the best options. I read something about a helper spring that's supposed to make an improvement.

I think the tracks on the elky are a little screwed up they don't go up and down perfectly straight, there's a bit of jerking and wobble going on. Haven't really looked into it seriously but having them go up and down quickly would be damn nice. It's embarrassing how slow they are at like toll booths for example.

I plan to grab a couple of regulators from the scrap yard to clean up and to do any mods need for the older motors so I won't be trying to do any mods in the cramped area in the door.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I plan to grab a couple of regulators from the scrap yard to clean up and to do any mods need for the older motors so I won't be trying to do any mods in the cramped area in the door.
Man I wish there were any G bodies left in any of the yards around here with good stuff to pull. Most of the yards have virtually nothing in the way of old cars.

There might be at this one place... But the guy who owns it pissed me off pretty good last time I was down there and I felt a strong urge to punch him in the face. So needless to say I wouldn't buy anything from him even if he had good stuff. I went in looking for a rear out of a 442 or GN and he said he needed to see the part I was looking for, or a picture... Then he got all pissy and called me an idiot and said "can't I read signs, it says to bring pictures"... Which floored me, what kind of junk yard doesn't know what a rear is that I have to show him a picture? I just said "you know what, I don't need this crap from you, have a nice day" turned around and walked away, won't be going back there lol. (Sorry to go on an unrelated rant).

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Man I wish there were any G bodies left in any of the yards around here with good stuff to pull. Most of the yards have virtually nothing in the way of old cars.

There might be at this one place... But the guy who owns it pissed me off pretty good last time I was down there and I felt a strong urge to punch him in the face. So needless to say I wouldn't buy anything from him even if he had good stuff. I went in looking for a rear out of a 442 or GN and he said he needed to see the part I was looking for, or a picture... Then he got all pissy and called me an idiot and said "can't I read signs, it says to bring pictures"... Which floored me, what kind of junk yard doesn't know what a rear is that I have to show him a picture? I just said "you know what, I don't need this crap from you, have a nice day" turned around and walked away, won't be going back there lol. (Sorry to go on an unrelated rant).

I have a friend who owns a yard and he has a couple of G bodies in his yard. He has one that was stripped down for racing and I know the door panels are gone but I don' know if the window regulators are there. If not there is a Cutlass with power windows parked close to it that has the door panels so the regulators should be there. I don't need to bring him any pictures, his brother owned a couple of strip bars locally.... :popcorn:

Last edited:
  • Haha

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I have a friend who owns a yard and he has a couple of G bodies in his yard. He has one that was stripped down for racing and I know the door panels are gone but I don' know if the window regulators are there. If not there is a Cutlass with power windows parked close to it that has the door panels so the regulators should be there. I don't need to bring him any pictures, his brother owned a couple of strip bars locally.... :popcorn:

I don't think those are the kind of pictures he was looking for lol.

I mean there's a few g bodies in the one yard down the road but they've been pretty well picked clean. Any definitely not early ones that would possibly have the bigger motors. I did hear the guy say one has a diesel in it, but I'm not interested in that personally. I'm not trying to build any hot Olds engines that the block would be useful to me. Not sure I even believe him since he had an elcamino sitting right by the office that he said had a GN rear in it, but it wasn't for sale... When I looked it was just a regular 7.5 and he thinks it's something special. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor