Power window not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
So my passenger side power window doesnt work. I replaced both drivers side and passenger side switches with aftermarket switches as they were in bad shape.
I have power coming to the passenger side switch, so is it safe to assume its the motor? How would I go about troubleshooting to confirm its the motor?
Drivers side works perfectly fine. Did not check fuses as I'm assuming they run on the same circuit.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Assuming one thing. You have a G-body.

Year? Model? G47, G69?? WTF?

Not to knock you, but this is a rant that constantly I have internal strife over bothering to help anyone who doesn't bother to offer up a scintilla of pertinent application info to allow others to help out. Do you go to NAPA and tell them you want a "water pump" with no other information? I understand how easy it is to know what you're talking about, but you leave us to guess because we don't know your car. And looking at avatars don't help because it could be any number of pictures. Help us help you.

Here's a diagram that might help. I'll post a troubleshooting guide from the 85 electrical service manual in a minute.
2 door power window troubleshoot 1.JPG

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry about that, it’s a 83 Regal.
No problem. It's just easier to pass by rather than play another round of 20 questions. The 83 Regal should have the same approach to troubleshooting as an 85 Cutlass, though. Double check wiring terminations and colors, but I'll bet dime to donuts it's exactly the same. Good luck chasing those electrical gremlins. If your switches were bad, they may have just had dirty contacts. Or burnt. Might be the same with the motors. The factory motors SUCKED donkey balls. But also the connector should have had some grease on them to the motor to prevent moisture/corrosion as they were exposed to the elements on the outside of the moisture barrier. Connections might be loose or something there. Grounding them well is another issue. The ground goes through the door latch and door hinges. Some people have ran a ground strap/wire from the door shell (pointy end of screw toward inside of door) and ran it through the electrical boot and grounded it to the body behind the kick panels to help secure a good ground for the window and lock motors. Just an idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor