Power window puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racechaser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2017
Ok, went thru tons of posts, tried a bunch of things and still beating my head against the wall. '88 Monte Carlo SS ...New switches, and a new motor on passenger side...Every wire at the switches light with a test light at the proper time. The test light lights at the passenger switch when the master is operated. The test light shows power at the proper time at the motor connections. The master switch is the ground for the whole sytem, so on the chance of a bad ground, I cleaned the ground connection, and then added a new chassis ground from the switch to the body (not the door). All indications by test light is everything is perfect, but neither window will go up or down. What am I missing?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Your missing your introduction along with some pictures of your SS...:D

here is a diagram of the pw wiring

PowerWindows.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Racechaser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2017
Uploaded pics and intro a few minutes ago lol...Appreciate the diagram... I have it. From another post, this is a diagram of an earlier version, it's pretty much right, but fails to show the sixth wire on the master that grounds the entire system, which is why I added a new ground...Thought maybe a broken ground where it runs through the door boot from the door to the body..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The diagram shows the window motors are grounded, the blue and brown wires going to motor switch from + to - depending on the direction of the window. There is no other ground.

Racechaser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2017
The may ground through their cases, but it's my understanding that the master switch is grounded because of the reverse polarity motors. Last year, H2O Gbodies posted:" That diagram is very misleading-apparently the only one that seems to pop up on Internet searches show the same one-it is 1978 only. 1979-88 have a black wire to the switch which grounds under the dash on a ringlet along with the other grounds above the kick panel under the 10mm machine screw which secures the lower LH side of the dash. " ....Am I misunderstanding or misinterpreting? My master switch has a sixth wire (black) that appears to be a ground.

Racechaser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2017
Just did a little further testing. The motors do not ground through their case. Attached a ground to the motor case and introduced power to each post one at a time...Nothing happened. Placed the motor on plastic, and used two wires (ground and hot) at the motor posts. Motor runs great, switch posts for up/down. The ground comes from the black wire on the master switch. The thing that is baffling me is that I tee'd in a ground from the switch to the chassis and I still get nothing. There doesn't seem to be a ground on the single passenger switch, so the ground has to come from the master...I think?

Racechaser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2017
Not sure where the help went... Everyone told me how helpful this forum was...Seems as though as soon as I questioned an answer the help dried up. Sorry, thought we were having an honest discussion and not disrespectful. Taking the car to an auto electric guy locally...Apparently I'm not smart enough to solve this...Which was pretty much why I got on here.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
when it comes down to electrical issues, alot of us are a little gunshy about coming up with answers to keep you from chasing your tail...

then there are people like me that are complete morons when it comes to electrical....o_O

have you tried connecting up to a loose motor and seeing if the switch will work it? it's a long shot, but I have seen a regulator jam before...

*edit: on the extra wire for ground...started remembering my install on the Regal project... I installed a p/w setup from a cutlass (can't remember what year ) on my regal, and there was an extra ground wire that grounded on the driver's door, and the windows wouldn't work without it grounded out. HTH

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a spare connector for the driver's side and there is a ground wire which I forgot about and is not in the diagram. Did you test the wiring with a multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor